Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Versus Fitness?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies

I'm standing in the grass, sweat dripping off my forehead, my heart beating quickly from exertion, breathing hard. All classic signs of a good workout, right?

Yes, but I wasn't working out. At least not officially...unless you count a prolonged game of tag with a six year old as working out which, actually, maybe we should. Tag doesn't seem that different than running intervals, right?

One of the biggest challenges to trying to combining being a mom and getting or staying in shape is finding time. I know I have struggled with taking the time away from my little one to go exercise (and please don't suggest I work out before she wakes up, I can't bear the thought of less sleep than I am getting right now!) but I also know that a healthy mom is a happy mom, so I want to make sure I take care of myself too.

While it doesn't always work- I have yet to figure out how to safely combine lap swimming and infants- sometimes adding kids to the workout plan can help make sure I get both time for fitness and time for family.

In addition to the obvious things like using a jogging stroller or bike trailer, there are some other fun ways to include kids in your workout:

The Park Plan:  If you have a toddler or older child who likes to play at the park, you can play too, using the playground equipment to do strength training. Click here for some ideas: http://www.parents.com/baby/health/lose-baby-weight/full-body-playground-workout/

The Baby Free Weight Plan:   If you have a little baby, you can create a circuit of strength training moves that you can do using them (safely!) as a weight. Holding baby while you lunge or squat can up the intensity of those moves so you'll feel the burn even faster. Find some more ideas here: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/mom-baby-exercises-0811#slide-1

The Just Plain Fun Plan: Remember how awesome kickball is? Or the fun of a good game of freeze tag? Or even just running through the sprinklers or playing backyard soccer? These things alone might not be the key to lifelong fitness, but they will get you moving, laughing and maybe even breaking a sweat all while spending quality time with your kiddo!

How do you combine family and fitness?

by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:21 AM

We go swimming or we go for walks in the cool evening air.

RobynS
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My gym has a play room, so I can take the kids with me when I need to. DS is 9 and he and I have been running together a bit. (we map our routes on mapmyrun and we're running in such a way that we're spelling out a birthday message to my mom--we have until November to get it all done!) ;)

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:11 AM

We go for walks

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Quoting RobynS:

My gym has a play room, so I can take the kids with me when I need to. DS is 9 and he and I have been running together a bit. (we map our routes on mapmyrun and we're running in such a way that we're spelling out a birthday message to my mom--we have until November to get it all done!) ;)

That sounds so cool. Bet she will love it

cjsjellybean
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM

We go for walks and swimming.  I also joined a gym that offers childcare so I can put the kids in an age appropriate room while I go work out.  I love that option since we haven't sent our daughter to preschool yet and neither went/go to daycare so it's nice for them to be around other kids and authority figures for a little while.

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM

We hike alot!

Sisteract
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM

When my kids were little we joined a family gym with a daycare center. I used to go before work (it opened at 5AM) on workdays and took the kids on my off days. It was a great place. We also had a dual running stroller. They loved that one.

Apr1l
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Whatever their doing activity wise, I join in.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Quoting johnny4ever:

We hike alot!

Do the kids like to hike?

virginiamama71
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM

we go for walks and also hikes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN