Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Go Inside and Play

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

I’m not an, like, an expert on weather or anything but I’m pretty sure it was about 237 degrees and 800% humidity yesterday. Walking outside felt like walking directly into Mother Nature’s armpit right in the middle of one of those horrible sounding hot yoga classes.

It was hot, is what I am saying.

I was all prepared to go on a walk or a bike ride and then walked outside and with a quick “NOPE” headed right to my car to go to the lovely air conditioned YMCA. When the kids realized I was going to the Y, they grabbed their shoes and demanded to come with me so they could play in the child care center. I ended up getting in a workout, my husband got the house to himself for an hour and the kids got to play with someone else’s toys—a total family win.

In general, I prefer to exercise outside. Swimming laps in an outdoor pool or lake makes me deeply happy and hiking is one of my favorite things to do, but when the weather is terrible I am always glad to have a gym membership.

If you don’t have a gym membership and are thinking about getting one, here are a couple of things to consider before signing up:

Do they have childcare available? During hours you’d use it?

If you are a class person, do they have a wide range of choices (Yay for aqua boot camp!)

Do you have to sign a year contract or can you go month to month?

Is it close to your home or work? Somewhere you’ll be able to get to in 10 minutes or less?

Is the overall vibe family friendly? This is why I love the YMCA. We do swim lessons there and they have fun classes for the kids.

It is slightly less sticky today but I think I am going to go shake what my mama gave me in Zumba class tonight rather than slog through my planned run.

Are you a gym person or an outside person when it comes to exercise?

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM
I dont have a gym membership, i prefer my basement equipment, i dont like working out outside at all, i feel like everyone is looking at me and judging...eeek
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I like being outside.

Sisteract
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Outdoor or in the house treadmill. I have been considering a gym membership since we moved and no longer have a pool.

Larsbug
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I'm not an exercise person LOL

LaniBee
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM

We have a gym membership. I don't like to be outdoors in the heat for any reason! (Ironically, we live in Florida) lol

fullxbusymom
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Ya excpet doesn't work for me because my kids will go to NO ONE except my husband or I sigh.

kellynh
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Me too!

Quoting virginiamama71:

I like being outside.

kellynh
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, I have days (okay, okay sometimes weeks...;) like that!

Quoting Larsbug:

kellynh
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM
I prefer outside... Swimming, walking :)
Larsbug
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM

LOL I will always find something else that needs to be done before or instead... dishes, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, picking up the yard LOL

Quoting kellynh: Lol, I have days (okay, okay sometimes weeks...;) like that!
Quoting Larsbug:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement