Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Get in the Picture, Girlfriend!

Posted by   + Show Post

How often do you have people tell you, "Get in the picture!" and you just deflect it? You say, "No, that's okay" or "Oh, not until I lose this baby weight" or "But my hair looks awful" or whatever? If you're like me, the answer to how many times you decline being in the picture is equal the number of photos currently on your iPhone camera roll. Well, honey, it's time to get in the picture.

Got a quick tip to pose in a candid shot that you'd like to share?

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-59):
strictmomhere
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Hate pics
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmptyNestMama
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I hate my pic taken! Its always some candid shot that I look terrible in. I have learned to avoid cameras. LOL! Now selfies I can do. I know to shoot from above me to hide the chin. In a softer light to hide the wrinkles and bags. Hows that for a tip!

Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I stay out of them. I'm not much on having pictures taken.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 8:39 AM
i have never rejected staying out of a pic
december911
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM

i don't like being in them either...then i thought about the what ifs...what if something happened and i wasn't around. I want my kids to have pictures with me in them. so now i suck it up!

proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM
I hate taking pictures
earthangel1967
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I was VERY guilty of this... especially after my 4th was born.. I was always naturally underweight without even trying and very slim even after 3 big babies UNTIL I had my 4th and then it was like something broke or something and despite exercise and eating healthy and consciously I have struggled HARD ever since and became PAINFULLY self conscious and HATED being in pics after that. 

I am BIG into taking pics and capturing priceless memories every chance I get which is often... 

im sorrygroup hugpaparazzi

Finally when my kids got into their teens.. my kids approached me with half mad and half sad faces and told me it REALLY REALLY bothered them that I wasn't appearing in hardly any pics and they mentioned that  they love me as I am and how do I think they are going to feel when I die someday and they don't have hardly any pics of me at all and it made them mad and sad! 

I never really thought of that and I felt so bad about it. I promised them I would force myself to be in pics from now on.  And while I am stilll the main photo taker I make sure I am in pics often now even if it makes a knot in my stomach and throat when I do it lol  I just think of my kids and get thru it. 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

earthangel1967
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:07 AM

goodpaparazzishooting photohappy

As for the tips I would suggest to other moms who are guilty of never being in the photos and realize they need to start for their kids' and loved ones sakes at least like I did finally: 

1. If you are self conscious about your body or weight.... position yourself behind someone like one of the kids standing in front of your body so mostly your lower body is covered. 

2. Have loved one do head shots or chest/shoulders and up shots. 

3. If you know there are going to be fulll body shots taken... wear your most slimming outfits and shapewear under your clothes that day... use good posture, stand tall like there is a string from your head to your toes and it's pulled straight, suck in tummy and SMILE.. a great smile distracts from body.  A pretty necklace or earrings can pull eyes upward toward face when looking at you too. 

4. Since the  kids especially teens and older DO understand there are certain pics of themselves that aren't their faves either... if there is an especially bad pic of me that I HATE and wouldn't want anyone to see other than my kids and husband and very very closest loved ones .. some are so bad even they giggle BUT they still want it because it captured a special memory with them... we make a deal. I let them keep it if they promise not to share it online  or social networking or with anyone other than our very closest loved ones that I feel unconditionally loved by .. they think that is fair.  (don't do that with every pic though ). 

5. While I personally don't believe in airbrushing or photoshopping my pics because then it wouldn't be the REAL me and because it would make my adult kids and husband UPSET with me if I did... I would say if you are a person who even with the tips I offered above stilll can't get herself to be in pics .. then I'd say go ahead and do a little airbrushing and photoshop on your pics if that is what it takes to be in the pics.. so your loved ones will have pics of you of some kind  in case something happens to you someday and it WILL someday even if it's when you are old and they will wish they had pics of you

6. If all the above STILL won't get you to get into pics then I highly suggest getting  some counseling to help you with your self consciousness and self image and confidence and to focus on the features that are beautiful about you... Read Maya ANgelou's poem PHENOMENAL WOMAN and Watch Christina Aguilera's video on youtube of YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.... Read self help books for body image and self consciouness or shyness or whatever the issue is.. just search for such books on amazon and read reviews of highly rated ones and get them and read them! 

7. Go on youtube and search things like HYPNOSIS FOR: and tack on one of these endings of that at a time .. body image... body dysmorphic disorder,  self image, self confidence, self love, self acceptance etc etc... (I'm a certified hypnotherapist /hypnosis/therapy/ ... pick a recording that is 15 min or longer and wait until you won't be disturbed for length of recording even if that is in bed at bedtime.... lay down and CLOSE YOUR EYES (dont' watch the recording only listen to it with eyes closed)... relax.. follow instructions in as much detail as you can,... try to smell, feel, hear, taste what they tell you to.. it's 100% natural and 100% safe.. it can NOT make you do anything against your will... if you need to respond to an emergency like crying child or fire alarm you WILL be able to immediately!... if you accidentally start to daydream and drift your attention away or if you accidentally fall asleep don't worry it still works!! The more often you do these self hypnosis sessions (whether using same fave recording over and over or different ones each time) it accumulates and goes deeper and more effective each time!  It is not uncommon to feel at least a small difference after one session!  It isn't scary or anything either.. it feels like a therapuetically guided daydream and is very enjoyable .. if you feel emotions like tears or such during it due to inner wound causing your issues and you feel tears pouring down your face.. it's OK.. don't stop them just let them flow and keep going thru your session.. tears can be very cleansing and healing.  Don't be afraid of them.  

8. Finallly remind yourself that how you act in regards to your own self and body image and self image and self consciousness you are ROLE MODELING FOR YOUR KIDS especially your daughters and it WILL affect them one way or another as they get older .. I guarantee it and so role model for them how you want  them to be with their own self.. because even if they are slender and fit and gorgeous they will still nit pick themselves apart if you do it!  Then you are going to regret this behavior like I did! 

I hope this helps! 

Good luck! 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Ladyisis
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I have no problem with pics, but don't always get in on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement