Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Race Me?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

The first fight my husband and I ever got into, back when we were dating, was over a board game. We were playing Taboo, boys versus girls, and he discovered via my aggressive use of the buzzer and my fairly unrelenting trash talk exactly how competitive I was (I discovered that other people don't always find my "Monica from Friends" level of competitiveness charming. I'm working on that).

While I don't recommend using an electronic buzzer to shame the person you love, I do think there is value to tapping in to your competitive side as a way of getting motivated to get active. One of the best things I did in terms of getting back into shape after my son was born was signing up to do a sprint triathlon. I had always wanted to do one and it seemed like a challenge, but a reachable one.

I chose an event about six months away in a nearby town and paid my $75 entry fee. Having that date on my calendar help me commit to going to the pool or taking my bike out on days when I probably would rather have taken a nap and that time spent swimming or working on running gave me a much needed break from baby time.

I completed my first sprint triathlon when my son was just over a year old. I was near the back of the pack and the bike ride kicked my butt (tip from me to you: don't sign up for any races until you know exactly how hilly the course is!) but I was so exhilarated at the end and almost burst into tears when I saw my little guy cheering for me at the finish line.

If a triathlon isn't your thing, there are other great, smaller races you could sign up for to motivate yourself. In my area it seems like there is a 5K almost every weekend and the Couch to 5K program (link here) is just one of the many training programs for beginners out there that is free and easy to follow.

I didn't sign up for a race after my daughter was born and am still struggling with getting fitness back in my life. Maybe a spring triathlon is in my future...

Do you have a competitive side? Have you signed up for any races as an adult?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I'm not a competitive person by nature. I haven't signed up for a race, but I have done walks for things like Down Syndrome and Colon Cancer.

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not competitive.

goddess99
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I don't run, not very competitive.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:47 AM

No not really. Im more laid back.

timon95
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM

not as much as my daughter and husband.

Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM
I'm not competitive at all, hahah!
Madelaine
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I am not a very competitive person and I have not done any races.

RobynS
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I do a 5K occasionally, but I'm not competitive. I'm not fast AT ALL! Finishing is enough for me. A few years ago I did the Dirty Girl mud run. Fun!

Leelee1008
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Slightly, but no I have never signed up for races.. I am very badly out of shape

MistressMinerva
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I don't run. Not very competitivee.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement