Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping Your Cool in the Hot Summer

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

Ah, the feeling of dread when you schlep several kids home after school pick-up and walk into a house that is stifling. It's all too common around here, where our A/C unit is definitely on its last leg. How do we manage the hot nights in-between service calls? We've got a few tricks that are tried and true.

Almost unrelated: DO YOU HAVE AIR CONDITIONING? How do you folks in the north without a/c survive? Do you have any stay-cool tricks I should use?

by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Our house is super hot. Our a/c quit working over a year ago. The humidity in fl is awful

TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Our AC is on its last leg too! And it scares me each Summer bc the money is not there to replace the whole system!

Up here in NJ we have had a coller Summer than I remember but it has still been awfully hot and humid most days...my air runs constantly!

goddess99
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I live way up north, I think 2 months ago we still had snow so a/c here is a waste of money. I think the hottest it's got so far is 80. I put a fan on. It's 40-50 at night.

LaniBee
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Our A/C blew up a few months ago, but we were able to replace a circuit board to get it back up and running. It's definitely on the list to be replaced. We live in FL and there's no way to live here without A/C most of the year! 

jessicasmom1
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM

freeze water and drink it helps me stay cooler

sanj1213
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Thank goodness we have a/c! We need it in this Texas heat. 

sanj1213
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM

We also enjoy drinking ice water. Helps keep you cool. 

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM

we don't have AC and use fans. It has not been too hot for us this summer so the fans are not used everyday.

Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM
We haven't used ours too much this summer, it's been fairly mild. It will have to be replaced next year. To keep cool we drink cold drinks, use fans, and have two back up window units in case our a.c. decides to crash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM
We'd be lost without A/C. The temps in the summer here get above 110° often.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN