Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Baby's First Jog

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

It was rainy and cool today and even though it is still August, I swear I could feel the hint of fall in the air. I’ve always thought fall was the easiest time to get motivated to exercise (I hate being hot before I even start running!) and I think it is the perfect time to take the baby out for the first runs in the jogging stroller.

Now, assuming your baby is old enough for the jogging stroller –check your owner’s manual for weight and age requirements- this might be a great time to begin long walks or runs with baby along for the ride.

If you haven’t already gone for a jog with baby in the stroller, here are some tips to make the first time go more smoothly than my first time did (There was a poop situation. I don’t want to talk about it. The flashbacks still haunt me):

Take care of the body basics before you go: a fresh diaper and a full tummy make for a content passenger!

Be mindful of your nap schedule: A lot of babies will conk right out in the stroller, so choose your time wisely if you have a baby who follows a particular nap schedule or whose bedtime routine depends on not falling asleep after a certain time.

Just say no to toys: You know what is annoying? Having to stop every 500 yards to pick up a book or toy that has been flung over the side. Unless it attaches to the stroller, leave it at home.

Clothing: Remember that they won’t be working up a sweat, so they might need another layer of clothing than you do. Once the cool weather of the fall really kicks in you’ll want to make sure little hands and ears are covered well, especially as you gain speed and create extra wind for them (go you speed racer, go!).

Be prepared: Always have a cell phone and a clean diaper on board. You can probably leave the bottles at home unless you’ll be longer than an hour.

What other tips would you add to this list?

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
Great time at Marblehead!
Yesterday at 9:20 AM
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Don't  forget Sunscreen!

TheJerseyGirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I only walked mine.

LaniBee
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Our kids loved the jogging stroller! They always brought toys and it was never a problem. 

LoveMyBug2013
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:03 AM

If it is warm/hot and your baby is older than 6 months, having a bottle with water is a good idea.

PennOhioBabe
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Water :)
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I always have a bottle of water with me

othermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I always kept an extra blanket to use as a coverfor the front of the stroller if it got to windy or sunny

proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Good tips
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM
These are great tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Great tips from everyone. We just went for walks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement