Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Hated It!

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

I am a lifelong water rat. I will happily swim in pools, lakes or the ocean and nothing beats a beach vacation in my book. So when I saw that a local rowing club was having a day of free lessons, I thought it would be a great way to combine my love of the water with my desire to get more fit. I even looked into what it would take to join the rowing club and what races were nearby. Maybe this could be my new sport!

It took about three minutes of being on the lake learning to row with seven other newbies for me to realize that I HATE rowing. I can't really say why but I felt trapped. I couldn't seem to get my timing right with the other rowers and pretty soon I wanted to jump into the water and swim for shore. The hour long lesson seemed to last forever and I'm pretty sure I was the only one hoping we'd tip over so it we could just get it over with. Once we got back to shore I heard several of the other people talking about how much fun it was and how they couldn't wait to do it again. Me? Never again. Nope.

I think a big part of starting and, more importantly, sticking to a fitness plan is figuring out what exercise or sports you'll actually enjoy doing. So, for me, finding out that I hate rowing isn't all bad. It helps me narrow down the list of things I might like to do and helped me realize that although I do like competition and find myself motivated by the thought of trying to win, I'm not really a team sports kind of gal. I'm probably better off sticking to open water swimming or sprint triathlons, something where I can embrace my love of water but without all those pesky paddles and other people getting in my way!

Is there a sport or type of exercise that you just can't stand? What do you love to do?

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ladyisis
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM

I really hate running. I have never liked it and I always have troubles breathing afterwards. I rather go swimming or do a sport or workout that is fun.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:25 AM

All of them lol/. I hate running. I cant even walk far let alone run

Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 7:01 AM

I do not like running and rowboating. I tried rowboating once...never again.

I love doing nature walks.

Greenenvy
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I'm not a fan of running, I HATE zumba style dance workouts but I love yoga, surfing, snorkeling and kayaking.

LaniBee
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I don't run. Ever. I enjoy pretty much everything else! 

NicLof2
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I'm like you I love to swim everywhere and a total beach bum! But I think I would hate rowing too. The whole time of be looking at the water wanting to jump in.
NicLof2
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm the same way. I have asthma so running always sucks but love to swim.

Quoting Ladyisis:

I really hate running. I have never liked it and I always have troubles breathing afterwards. I rather go swimming or do a sport or workout that is fun.

delanna6two
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I like walking or light aerobics.  I don't really care for jogging.

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM

About the only thing I DO like is walking.  lol :)

RADmomma
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM
I'm not an exercise person at all. I do it but I haven't found anything other than a family nature walk that I actually enjoy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement