Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad grades-update

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

What do you do when your kids get bad grades? This is the first time I have really had to deal with it much, it is just a progress report right now, it is showing that my son had a D+ is social studies for his acedemic grade. I checked his grades online and it is showing he is missing one 1 point thing, everything else he either got a perfect score or just a few points off so I am not sure how the grade is so low. I did send his teacher and email so i can find out what exactly he is missing and what he needs to do to bring his grade up. He is usually a great student and everything shows he is doing great so I am kind of confused as to why it is so low. I will be checking his stuff that he brings home and will talk with him when he gets home from school. This is his first year of middle school so it has been a change having a bunch of different teachers in seperate classes, but up untill now he had straight A's.

Update- I emailed his teacher about it to see if there was anythign else missing besides the one assignment or if there was anything my son needed to work on and the teacher said he didn't know why the grade was so low and after adding in the missing assignment that had been turned in and adding the grade for a test it was bnow a 91%, so an A. 

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:46 PM
Something doesn't add up correctly I would be talking to her and see how she's adding everythjng to get grades. The only thing I can think of is she adds in class participation as a huge chunk of grades I had a teacher that did that I nearly fails bc I was painfully shy.
othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Stevensmomma: Something doesn't add up correctly I would be talking to her and see how she's adding everythjng to get grades. The only thing I can think of is she adds in class participation as a huge chunk of grades I had a teacher that did that I nearly fails bc I was painfully shy.

I got an email back from his teacher and he wasn't sure why it was so low. He did put in the grade for the missing assignment that my son had turned in a while ago and then a test, but now he is at a 91% so I am happy. I did talk to my son too and he told me about the paper and the test. He didn't do very good at first, he got a C and the teacher allowed him to retake it and he got an A.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:09 PM

I guess I would start by talking to your son, and next time maybe encouraging him to go to the teacher himself if there is a concern or confusion about a grade. At this age, it's time for him to start thinking about how to advocate for himself, and how to communicate appropriately with authorities. I'm sure it's intimidating, but maybe talking it through with you first would help.

Just another thought to consider as you and he are going through the transition to middle school and more independence, etc.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I guess I would start by talking to your son, and next time maybe encouraging him to go to the teacher himself if there is a concern or confusion about a grade. At this age, it's time for him to start thinking about how to advocate for himself, and how to communicate appropriately with authorities. I'm sure it's intimidating, but maybe talking it through with you first would help.

Just another thought to consider as you and he are going through the transition to middle school and more independence, etc.

I did make him go when it showed he had a few missing assignment earlier in the year and he talked with the teachers and got it figured out.  I will probably have him go talk to the teacher next time if a grade is possibly incorrect. I just wanted to check with the teacher to make sure there were no issues I did not know about.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:34 PM
That totally makes sense. Can I just give you a parenting compliment, then, for encouraging your child to develop some great independence? I feel like that's a tough thing to do as a parent, at least for me. It sounds like you're really supporting him in that.

Hopefully things are now sorted out with this class and teacher.

Quoting othermom:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I did make him go when it showed he had a few missing assignment earlier in the year and he talked with the teachers and got it figured out.  I will probably have him go talk to the teacher next time if a grade is possibly incorrect. I just wanted to check with the teacher to make sure there were no issues I did not know about.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. It can be tough to encourage kids to be independant. I think it is tougher for me with my youngest so far. It did get worked out, his teacher entered in the score for the one missing assignment that my son had already turned in a while back. My son had gotten a C on one test and was allowed to retake it and got an A and so that was put in too. His teacher wasn't sure why it was a D, now it is a A.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: That totally makes sense. Can I just give you a parenting compliment, then, for encouraging your child to develop some great independence? I feel like that's a tough thing to do as a parent, at least for me. It sounds like you're really supporting him in that. Hopefully things are now sorted out with this class and teacher.
Quoting othermom:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM

:/ That's weird for him to be missing only one or two things and have a low grade. I would ask him what's going on.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM

Quoting melliburger:

:/ That's weird for him to be missing only one or two things and have a low grade. I would ask him what's going on.

I got a hold of the teacher and he didn't understand why it was so low. He fixed the missing assignment because it had been turned in and posted a grade for a test and now my sons grade is a 91, so an A

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:41 AM

It's good that you checked it out, and had him also talk to the teacher. Sometimes if the teacher knows he is really trying, and is concerned about the grade, the teacher will give him help, like he did by letting him turn in the late assignment and letting him retake the test. I think you should talk to your son about that. The teacher didn't have to do that, so it might be good for your son to talk to him and let him know he appreciates that.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

It's good that you checked it out, and had him also talk to the teacher. Sometimes if the teacher knows he is really trying, and is concerned about the grade, the teacher will give him help, like he did by letting him turn in the late assignment and letting him retake the test. I think you should talk to your son about that. The teacher didn't have to do that, so it might be good for your son to talk to him and let him know he appreciates that.

I think the school does that often for retaking the tests, other teachers have allowed it to. We do talk with him about it, about taking the time to do his best the first time and that in later grades it will not be allowed. The school is pretty nice to the 6th graders, it gets tougher next year. I think they do it to help the kids adjust to moving to middle school. The paper that was missing had been turned in a while ago, the teacher just forgot to add it in until now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)