Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Look what I found in my back yard...

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM
  • 36 Replies
2 moms liked this

My neighbor, with camera in hand, knocked on my door and said there were manatees by my dock, so I grabbed my camera and we rushed out there.

So we saw the back humps of the manatees, and I knew they would have to come up for air soon, I hoped I'd be able to get more than just the tip of their snout, then the water started thrashing

and it became obvious that Spring is in the air!

by on May. 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ILovemyPaulie
by New Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Wow that's amazing! My kids would be thrilled to see them. They wouldn't realize they were doing the dirty deed either! LOL! very cool.

Stevensmomma
by on May. 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM

That's very awesome you can see that in your yard !! 

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, "wrestling" is what we call it when there are kids around. Lots of wildlife here, lots of opportunities to see "wrestling". One of mine overheard someone say doing the dirty deed one time and asked me what it meant, and I said wrestling around in the dirt, and the manatees stir up the muddy bottom when they get frisky, so our usual clear water gets kind of murky, and works with that definition, too.  lol

Quoting ILovemyPaulie:

Wow that's amazing! My kids would be thrilled to see them. They wouldn't realize they were doing the dirty deed either! LOL! very cool.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM
Oh my goodness! That's wild! Do you get manatees in your neck of the woods often?

The only wildlife "wrestling" we've seen recently was horseshoe crabs last spring... DS didn't catch on, either!
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 8:52 PM

It never ceases to amaze me. I never know what I'll see out there.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Alexsi1
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Amazing! Such a beautiful picture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM

That is so cool

aj_mom
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 2:07 PM

How awesome!

Stevensmomma
by on May. 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Super cool though !!

the most we have seen was a lizard 

Quoting SweetLuci:

It never ceases to amaze me. I never know what I'll see out there.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Join us in the smarter living group

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM

No, we don't often see them, though we know they are in the water, just like dolphins, that birth their babies just near here and we  often see them when we're out on the boat. In winter, when it gets cold in the ocean and the rivers, they come into the springs where the water is warmer, and we often drive about 45 minutes to Blue Springs State Park to see hundreds of them at once. This was the first time we've seen them mating here.  Horseshoe crabs are really something, clinging on in a long line, just waiting their turn. lol

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: Oh my goodness! That's wild! Do you get manatees in your neck of the woods often? The only wildlife "wrestling" we've seen recently was horseshoe crabs last spring... DS didn't catch on, either!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)