• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unusual vacations.

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:40 PM
  • 19 Replies
DH and I are often teased about the unusual vacations we take. Like one year we rented a cabin for a weekend and went and looked at Hatfield and McCoy battle sites. Last year we went to Biloxi, Mississippi and absolutely fell in love with it. We are going back in a couple of weeks.

What are some unusual vacations you have taken?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Nothing really that I would call unusual. We do like to go explore places while on vacation

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM

I don't really consider that unusual, but maybe it's because the Hatfields were cousins of my grandmother, and my uncle taught elementary school and had both Hatfields & McCoys in his class (he said they were civil to each other in the classroom, but didn't speak to each other on the playground), and we've been to the battlefields and family cemetaries. lol Also to Biloxi, which we had visited before Katrina, and after Katrina. Also visited New Orleans before and after. There was a big contrast in how the two were rebuilt...New Orleans is still a big mess in parts of it, while Biloxi is doing well.

We've travelled up the Mississippi to go to different BBQ places. We often travel to different places just to visit unique restaurants. And travelled to different places to see wildlife. We've gone to Chincoteaque Island to see the wild ponies. We visited a wolf preserve in New York, a shorebird rehabilitation center in Sarasota, and a big cat preserve near Orlando.

othermom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM

We did go check out the Goonies house in Astoria a few years ago.

Alexsi1
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM
I guess we are unusual to our friends and some family members. Their ideas of vacations are sandy clear beaches, resorts, amusement parks and such. Ours are nature, low crowds, and in my husband's case, fishing lol.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I don't really consider that unusual, but maybe it's because the Hatfields were cousins of my grandmother, and my uncle taught elementary school and had both Hatfields & McCoys in his class (he said they were civil to each other in the classroom, but didn't speak to each other on the playground), and we've been to the battlefields and family cemetaries. lol Also to Biloxi, which we had visited before Katrina, and after Katrina. Also visited New Orleans before and after. There was a big contrast in how the two were rebuilt...New Orleans is still a big mess in parts of it, while Biloxi is doing well.

We've travelled up the Mississippi to go to different BBQ places. We often travel to different places just to visit unique restaurants. And travelled to different places to see wildlife. We've gone to Chincoteaque Island to see the wild ponies. We visited a wolf preserve in New York, a shorebird rehabilitation center in Sarasota, and a big cat preserve near Orlando.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alexsi1
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Chincoteague Island is another place I want to go to.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alexsi1
by on May. 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM
My husband loves the Goonies 😊

Quoting othermom:

We did go check out the Goonies house in Astoria a few years ago.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM

I think you're right. I just don't think of it as unusual because we also take vacations like that, but no one has ever teased us about it, and we have friends and family who take similar vacations. One cousin likes to visit areas that are the scenes of books she's read, and another who is trying to  visit every state capital, another visits Confederate battlefields, one visits places that has antique stores, one visits famous gardens, one who visits Presidential birthplaces and libraries,  and one who visits gravesites of famous authors-now that one is strange! lol

Quoting Alexsi1: I guess we are unusual to our friends and some family members. Their ideas of vacations are sandy clear beaches, resorts, amusement parks and such. Ours are nature, low crowds, and in my husband's case, fishing lol.
Quoting SweetLuci:

Stevensmomma
by on May. 6, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Nothing at all I haven't been far from where we live 

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2015 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

This was right before their yearly auction. We also took a boat ride and saw them from the water. Pretty cool.

Quoting Alexsi1: Chincoteague Island is another place I want to go to.
Quoting SweetLuci:

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:47 AM
When I was a kid we did a lot of historical vacations to Civil War sites. I've been to almost every major battlefield except for Vicksburg!

Now we tend to take vacation time to visit family or to go to national parks... But lots of people around here do active and/or nature-oriented vacations, so it's not that uncommon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)