Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What company?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

What company do you use for brokerage?

I use Fidelity.

Visit Investors!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Marz31
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:39 PM

My 401K has always been with Fidelity. DH has a few different accounts, I think one is with Edward Jones. His parents have sporadically contributed to an IRA for him over the years. very nice altho for a long time, they kept putting my name on it but I wasn't even the beneficiary. We've gotten things updated.

deccaf
by Group Owner on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I wish someone would contribute to mine!

Marz31
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Oh, ME TOO! except that he wasn't contributing to his own. GRRR. he still isn't as far as I know :( He has a chunk making money, but long story short, he thought he was getting laid off right when he could have enrolled and then it got lost in the shuffle when he wasn't laid off. and before that, the company he was at for 8 years, he could have done stocks there, which would have been a huge investment as the company split into Western Wireless and Voicestream and Western is now part of Verizon, so yeah, he'd have a nice chunk of change there had he invested! but alas.....

Quoting deccaf:

adamsmom0116
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:18 PM

OH wouldn't that be nice?!

DH had an employee whose dad bought her a new Nissan Pathfinder and gave her $50k for a down payment on a new house. I keep asking my dad when those benefits kick in for me! He laughs.

Quoting deccaf:

the3Rs
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:41 PM

My company uses Fidelity for our retirement, but I don't invest anywhere else.  I'd like to but I have no idea how to start.  We do have a financial advisor but I haven't met with him in a couple of years.  Guess maybe I should give him a call :)

deccaf
by Group Owner on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM

The best way is to research.  You can often start an account with a small monthly contribution.  But I would advise that you never invest more than you can lose.  If you do $100 a month, make sure you can afford to lose it if your investment goes south.

Quoting the3Rs:

My company uses Fidelity for our retirement, but I don't invest anywhere else.  I'd like to but I have no idea how to start.  We do have a financial advisor but I haven't met with him in a couple of years.  Guess maybe I should give him a call :)

Visit Investors!

the3Rs
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:44 AM

So, when you say be able to "lose it" - are you referring ONLY to that month's contribution or to all of it?  

For example, let's say I definitely have $100 wiggle room and losing $100 wouldn't be a big problem.  So, I sock away $100 every month for a year.  Now I have $1200 (plus whatever interest ??) and the stock market dives.  I don't really want to lose the whole $1200, you know?

Quoting deccaf:

The best way is to research.  You can often start an account with a small monthly contribution.  But I would advise that you never invest more than you can lose.  If you do $100 a month, make sure you can afford to lose it if your investment goes south.

Quoting the3Rs:

deccaf
by Group Owner on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I would say, especially beginning, don't invest more per month than you can lose.  If you have contributed $1200, a smart investor will have diverse investments, so even if one plunges, the others should remain fairly steady.  I wouldn't expect a huge gain in the first year or so because you will have the trade commissions and a learning curve, and fewer stocks to get the diversity.  I have gotten up to 30% gains and I've been doing this since 2010.  With the way stocks have gone this year, I have been reduced to 21%.  Which still isn't bad considering it's only 4 years! 

Keep in mind that the ideal way to invest is long-term.  Most companies WILL have gains long-term, regardless of what the short term does.  I have one stock that fell 99%, and is just now starting to slowly go back up.  There were compliance issues that killed the stock price.

Quoting the3Rs:

So, when you say be able to "lose it" - are you referring ONLY to that month's contribution or to all of it?  

For example, let's say I definitely have $100 wiggle room and losing $100 wouldn't be a big problem.  So, I sock away $100 every month for a year.  Now I have $1200 (plus whatever interest ??) and the stock market dives.  I don't really want to lose the whole $1200, you know?

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting the3Rs:

Visit Investors!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)