Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade Christmas Ideas anyone ?

I am looking for some homemade christmas ideas. We are trying work on a small budget this year and my dd b-day is nov 28 then christmas right around the corner.lol. Web sites or ideas would be great. thanks

by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM
Replies (11-18):
lewseatea
by Member on Dec. 6, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Every kid loves play dough.  I make a few big batches of red, yellow and blue, then let the kids mix the colors to make their own favorite colors.  We also add essential oils to make it smell great!  Here is the recipe I got from my son's Early Childhood class. 

5 Cups Flour (I go with unbleached whenever possible)

1 Cup Salt

2 Tablespoons Alum

3 or 4 Cups Boiling Water

4 Tablespoons Cooking Oil

Food Coloring

Mix Dry Ingredidents.  Add oil (and food coloring if you want just one color) to boiling water.  Knead as it cools.

I personally just boil the water in my tea kettle, then pour it into a glass measuring cup, add the oil and food coloring, then dump everything into my stand mixer.  I start with 3 cups of water and add more if needed.   Then just use the dough hook to mix it all up.   It's much nicer than trying to knead dough made with boiling water.  After everything is all mixed up, I add an essential oil to match the color (orange, lime, lemon, peppermint, etc)

The kids absolutely love it!

mommy98
by New Member on Dec. 7, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Well I got real lucky.  My mom still has stuff from her attempts at different crafts so I raided it.  I am making scented bath salts in jars with complementing scented candles and decorative soaps and my kids are going to decorate some old picture frames that I found and we are going to put there pictures in it.  That is what I am giving all of the women in my family.  For the men I just went and got some toiletries at the Dollar store and I am going to put them in a decretive box.

I am going to loose it all.   I know I can.  I have the Motivation and the attitude.  Now lets see if I can have it all gone by 6/4/2012 for my wedding anniversary so that I can have the wedding of my dreams.jewelry

DzineMama
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Alright we made these today for all the grand parents, I cut out the photo and wrapped the ribbon through the loop and held the glass ornaments totally freaking out inside they would break... but they didn't. DD added all the glitter and glitter ice that you see inside and cut up ribbon into fetti and pieces for me to curl...

"There is no I... there is only we... we are connected...
to change the world... we must change ourselves."

Casarah13
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I am making fudge and cookies and putting them in pretty boxes from the dollar tree and the boys are making bird feeders from bread and peanut butter with bird seed. I bought a loaf of bread for 75 cents and we used cookie cutters to make shapes then left the bread out overnight to get stale. We spread the PB on and dipped it into bird seed and used a piece of red yarn on the top to hang from a tree.

mommyt2two
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I am doing homemade gift baskets.  With food mainly.  I'm getting all my baskets and containers from second hand stores, which saves me TONS of money!  I will be doing cookies, bars, and those recipes in jars.  I'd like to also add a few small cute gifts in there.  It will be from the heart stuff and very very appreciated!

seoulmom
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:27 PM
For teachers & gifts for extended family I always do a baked good or something like that...this year I am doing my great-aunts graham cracker fruit cake, its awesome & low cost & I can make it a month ahead of time & not worry about whether its going to be fresh over the 2 or so weeks it takes to hand out to everyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DzineMama
by on Nov. 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This year I came up with this for my holiday gifts,  thought to share with you wonderful ladies.

My dd is 3 so this year I really got back into the gardening, now with a helping pair of hands... so back to the reason I'm posting, I am hitting the thrift store for watering cans, tea pots, planter pots, anything that would make a pretty and interesting planter and I am transferring small herb plants to them... for example a tea pot w planted chamomile for a tea buff or a watering can with lavendar and calendula... etc... you can do kitchen herbs, tea herbs, medical herbs, flora, I think my peeps will like them.

tigronne
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I love those tile coasters, wow!! thanks for posting!

Whatever favorite character of your kids - you can just google pictures of it, print them and bind them - you will have a personal coloring book!

You can also make salt dough or playdoh handprints or decorate ornaments yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN