Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

christmas craft gift ideas and instructions *pics*

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 856 Total Views

So ive been making gifts for the family this year (grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousines). I made 2 different basic ideas. Obviously the cookie one was a little more complicated so I made those for grandparents and the trees I made for cousines. I also made one of the trees for my husband in Iraq since I knew he wouldnt be getting a Christmas tree this year and he seems to have really enjoyed it. So, here are some pictures with instructions. These I think would also be nice just to have as a table center peice for Christmas if you wanted to do one for yourself and not as a gift.

Tree:

I used a green floral cone and they have several sizes but you can use whatever size you want for this. If you want to make a big one go for it but I used a medium sized cone here. You don't have to unwrap it from its original plastic covering just leave it the way it is. I used double sided tape and put it all the way around the bottem of the cone and then attatched garland. I then put another layer of double sided tape on the garland and put another layer of garland on top because it makes it look nice and full around the bottem. Get an assortment of Christmas candies whatever kind you like and use double sided tape to stick the candies to the cone. I posted pics of 2 different trees so you could see all the different candies i used. For the sucker on the top of the first one I just stuck the stick strait into the cone. I used curling ribbon to tie around the top and then curled it. The first tree I used red and green and the second I used red, green, and silver. Then in the third picture you see one wrapped in cellophane and I tied it with curling ribbon and then attatched a name tag with a bow.

Cookie Arrangement:

Pick out a nice christmas basket. I got mine at Michaels on black friday and was lucky enough to get them 50% off and then had a coupon for 30% off my purchase so those 7 dollar baskets I got for nothing. I got regular floral foam and cut it to fit inside the basket and then covered it with aluminum foil. Do this to keep the foam away from the food. I baked an assortment of cookies. Peanut butter, chocolate chip, sugar, and gingerbread. The gingerbread cookies I decorated to look like gingerbread men faces. The sugar cookies I decorated with cookie icing and sprinkles and I did some of the peanut butter ones with baking chocolate. You can just dip them in chocolate or put the chocolate in a zip lock bag and then snip the corner off and you can do dezines on them. If you dip them instead of laying them on a cookie sheet to dry you can stick the cookie that is already on the stick into some floral foam so it is standing up to dry and then the back of the cookie wont be flattened.

To get the cookies on the sticks you can do it 1 of 2 ways (i used 12 inch bamboo skewers). Either put the stick into the cookie dough before you bake it, or insert the stick into the cookie as soon as they come out of the oven. Insert the stick pointed side into the cookie. I found it easiest to insert the stick as soon as they were done baking. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet AFTER you have already inserted the stick before you take them off the cookie sheet. Then let them finished cooling before you pick the cookie up by the stick and it should be sturdey. If you don't insert the stick AS SOON AS they come out of the oven the cookie will start cooling and you wont be able to.

Now, once your cookies are speared and decorated tie some curling ribbon on and curl. I did some cookies with green, some red, and some silver.

After my foam was covered and put into the basket I put some tissue paper around the back of the basket. I did this by stuffing parts of the paper inside the basket around the foam. I broke the sticks of the cookies I wanted shortened and started at the front of my basket. I put a few short ones in the front and worked my way back leaving them taller and taller until the back row was left at 12 inches and I didnt break the sticks at all. I attatched some candy canes to tooth picks using tape and you can stick them in wherever you like. I then threw some candy into the basket so that once the cookies are eaten they will find their candies. I then covered with cellophane, tied with curling ribbon and curled, attatched a name tag and a bow.

I hope someone enjoys this or finds it useful! Merry Christmas!!! Feel free to leave any questions and I will try to answer them!  :)  At the time when I made these I didnt plan to do an instructional thing so I didnt take pictures step by step. But I will take more pictures next time I make one and if anyone likes I will post them.

by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Alicia1212
by Member on Dec. 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I love those cookie one's. Very creative. Have a great Christmas, it must be hard with your DH in Iraq. My sisters husband is there too.

disco_14_99
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Yea its difficult but also with the military we have gotten used to being apart so i am just trying to stay positive. as you can imagine they dont have christmas trees in iraq he was dreading christmas before but i think when i sent him the box of treats that had the candy tree in it it lifted his spirits a lot. i think he is handeling being away from home harder than i am bc at least i have family.

sungreen13
by Group Owner on Dec. 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

You have done an amazing job~ they look great!!! Very nice :o)

jollilolli
by on Dec. 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Super cute!!  Such a crafty person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)