Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-Section question, it's killing me !! (kinda long)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM
  • 21 Replies
What are your opinions on VBAC?

I have 1 son, born via c-section bc he was standing straight up. Now that I'm pregnant again I had my first appt yesterday. My Dr asked me "So were having another scheduled c-section?" I o f course said "No I want to have a normal delivery If possible". Then he informed me on some things I didn't know of, like uterine rupture, death for mom or baby a bad he scared me!

He made me doubt my decision but told me I still ha dB time to think about it. He also told me that if I had a vbac I could not be induced due to the fact I had a c-section in the past. I was still thinking about the scheduled c-section section that I didn't even ask him how it affected IF I needed to be induced but couldn't. Any of you moms here had a vbac with good or bad outcomes? I want to research as much possible! TIA Ladies :)
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChutterButter
by Christina on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Never had a vbac but there are a few ladies over in the general pregnancy group who have. They seem to know a pretty fair amount. I really hope you get the birth experience you want and a happy and healthy baby.
tyrelsmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:57 AM
You need a new doctor. That one was using scare tactics.
I have had 3 VBA2Cs. My first two were c-section. Next 3 were vaginal deliveries.
With 1 previous section your chance of rupture is only about 0.3%... and if it happens it doesn't automatically mean death either. Not even close.
About being induced... being induced is more dangerous after a c-section. But if necessary it can be done. Cytotec and any cervical prostaglandins are out of the question. But pit is ok at low dose as well as the foley bulb and breaking your water.
If you want a VBAC tho, find another doctor. Even if this one says next time, fine you can do it if you really want to.... he WILL find an excuse to cut you open. That scare tactic lecture was a HUGE red flag.
_Crazy_Beauty
by Tracey on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a c section with my daughter. My mid wife said there is no reason I can't have a successful vbac. I do want to do more research as I have heard terrible stories as well. But im glad my midwife is atleast enthusiastic and supportive about helping have the birth I want. I agree that you should look for a different doctor who is more knowledgeable and supportive of your desire even of it turns out a different way atleast they will give you a chance.
Kachetes
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Oops, sorry. I forgot to include that he did give me the option of having a delivery I wanted. He told me if a vbac is what you really want we can do it, but that he just had to inform me and let me know any risks. He said if I wanted a vbac we could do it. He told me his story with his wife who after having 1 c-section he told her to not take any risks and to go ahead and have them all that way. So she had 3 total. It's just now that I know that I'm a tad bit scared! But thank you for all the info you gave me aswell :)

Quoting tyrelsmom: You need a new doctor. That one was using scare tactics.
I have had 3 VBA2Cs. My first two were c-section. Next 3 were vaginal deliveries.
With 1 previous section your chance of rupture is only about 0.3%... and if it happens it doesn't automatically mean death either. Not even close.
About being induced... being induced is more dangerous after a c-section. But if necessary it can be done. Cytotec and any cervical prostaglandins are out of the question. But pit is ok at low dose as well as the foley bulb and breaking your water.
If you want a VBAC tho, find another doctor. Even if this one says next time, fine you can do it if you really want to.... he WILL find an excuse to cut you open. That scare tactic lecture was a HUGE red flag.
tyrelsmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Whether he says you can or not... he sees you as a uterus waiting to explode. I'm sorry I just do not see you having much of a chance in this situation. Just my honest opinion. Having been in this situation before I'm just kind of concerned for you.

Quoting Kachetes: Oops, sorry. I forgot to include that he did give me the option of having a delivery I wanted. He told me if a vbac is what you really want we can do it, but that he just had to inform me and let me know any risks. He said if I wanted a vbac we could do it. He told me his story with his wife who after having 1 c-section he told her to not take any risks and to go ahead and have them all that way. So she had 3 total. It's just now that I know that I'm a tad bit scared! But thank you for all the info you gave me aswell :)

tyrelsmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
And on the not taking any risks... the wife was taking quite a risk getting pregnant again after 3 c-sections. Look up placenta accreta... doctors like to fail to mention that risk when they want to sign you up for repeated c-sections. Just something to consider if you'd like more children. Unfortunately most women who get it were never warned that their previous c-sections raised their risk for it so much. :-( There is no risk free choice. That is a myth.

Quoting Kachetes: Oops, sorry. I forgot to include that he did give me the option of having a delivery I wanted. He told me if a vbac is what you really want we can do it, but that he just had to inform me and let me know any risks. He said if I wanted a vbac we could do it. He told me his story with his wife who after having 1 c-section he told her to not take any risks and to go ahead and have them all that way. So she had 3 total. It's just now that I know that I'm a tad bit scared! But thank you for all the info you gave me aswell :)

maybebaby83
by Heather on Jan. 31, 2015 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi! I just wanted to say, I've never had a C-section but I think your doctor sounds like a good doctor! He just giving ALL possible what ifs! Obviously any type of delivery has a long list of those! The fact that he is even willing to let you do a VBAC is a good thing. My sister had a c-section and where she lived there was literally ONE doctor that would let women do a VBAC. None of the others would. I think he is just being careful and making sure to warn you of all possibilites, which is something a good doctor would do!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kachetes
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:18 PM
Thank you! I guess your right there's risks in anything whether its a vbac or another scheduled c-section. I've found a bit of pros and cons to both of them and not just the thought of delivery scares me! Which is not what I want I was really looking forward to it but now I don't really know. & yes he was really supportive and all of the situation, I still haven't thought about changing him bc I really liked him but I guess I'll wait and keep researching to see what I decide!

Quoting maybebaby83:

Hi! I just wanted to say, I've never had a C-section but I think your doctor sounds like a good doctor! He just giving ALL possible what ifs! Obviously any type of delivery has a long list of those! The fact that he is even willing to let you do a VBAC is a good thing. My sister had a c-section and where she lived there was literally ONE doctor that would let women do a VBAC. None of the others would. I think he is just being careful and making sure to warn you of all possibilites, which is something a good doctor would do!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Kachetes
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:19 PM
Thank you for your honest opinion :)
That's what I asked for people whove who've had experiences and I like yours. I might just go with it and choose vbac since that's the delivery I've always wanted !

Quoting tyrelsmom: And on the not taking any risks... the wife was taking quite a risk getting pregnant again after 3 c-sections. Look up placenta accreta... doctors like to fail to mention that risk when they want to sign you up for repeated c-sections. Just something to consider if you'd like more children. Unfortunately most women who get it were never warned that their previous c-sections raised their risk for it so much. :-( There is no risk free choice. That is a myth.

tyrelsmom
by Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 2:40 PM
Thanks. I always worry about coming off too pushy. I don't mean to. I really don't care what choice you make so long as YOU are happy with it. If you want a VBAC I want you to succeed. It KILLS me when i see someone planning a VBAC and then they go to their 36 week appointment to find out their doctor has scheduled them in for a repeat at 39 weeks for some bullshit reason. And I've seen it in other due date groups.
You're the one who was at your appointment so you have a better idea... but your post set off alarm bells in my head so loud. So sorry if I'm being too pushy with my opinions.

Quoting Kachetes: Thank you for your honest opinion :)
That's what I asked for people whove who've had experiences and I like yours. I might just go with it and choose vbac since that's the delivery I've always wanted !

Quoting tyrelsmom: And on the not taking any risks... the wife was taking quite a risk getting pregnant again after 3 c-sections. Look up placenta accreta... doctors like to fail to mention that risk when they want to sign you up for repeated c-sections. Just something to consider if you'd like more children. Unfortunately most women who get it were never warned that their previous c-sections raised their risk for it so much. :-( There is no risk free choice. That is a myth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)