Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you plan on breastfeeding??

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM
  • 18 Replies
I plan on breastfeeding my first born I also planned to breastfeed but it was my first time trying and I really didn't know what to do and the lactation nurse was horrible. She pulled my gown down in front of my guest and I felt uncomfortable and my son was crying and she grabbed my boob and tried to latch him many times and it didn't work ...she came in a bunch of times to try and he wouldn't latch ...so they told me if he didn't latch by the next day they were going to give him formula.. And that's what happen ;( I was sad about it felt like a failure .. So my second son I did a water birth and planned to bf and told the midwives what happen and they said of course he wouldn't latch baby can feel mom was uncomfortable and with my second when he was born they left me alone with him for about an hour to try and he latched perfect within 5 minutes! I bf him til he was 13 months old ...I plan on bf again hope all goes well this time too!
by on May. 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
novella0708
by on May. 7, 2015 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so glad to hear that. My first experience was similar to yours and my daughter ended up being formula fed. We had trouble latching at first, but eventually got it down. The nurse was horrible. Then, she would latch on but wouldn't nurse. She'd just hang there and do nothing. 

This time, I plan on a water birth at a birthing center and the midwives seem much more encouraging. I hope everything works out better this time, for us. I don't regret formula feeding my daughter, but the few times I nursed I loved it! I hope I can nurse this one for at least a year. 

mnmo3bb
by Amy on May. 7, 2015 at 5:03 PM

I plan to again, I'm still nursing my 2 year old but only 1-3 times a day so he should be done before the baby is born lol 

answeredprayer
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM
I had a very similar experience with my first but was able to nurse my the next 4 kiddos. I will breastfeed the next baby as well.
findingmyself14
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:17 PM
I plan on pumping and giving it to the baby. I live in an area that the hospitals don't have breast pumps, lactation consultions, and formula feed babies. I am trying to learn all I can before baby comes
eChard
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 6:21 PM
I breastfed all 4 of my babies and I will this one as well :)
Duenov30
by Katlyn on May. 7, 2015 at 6:23 PM
I had a bad experience with my first so I didn't even attempted my second. As soon as they said he was tongue tied and wouldn't latch them I just went straight to formula. This is my last and I do plan to this time so hopefully it is a little easier!
Mandy270429
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 8:11 PM
Yes ...the first time was a nightmare!!! And the lactation nurse was a joke she seemed like she didn't even want to be there to help ...she kept pushing me to bottle feed ;( ... So I gave in ...I wish with my first I would of research more or talked to more moms ;(
Khooks
by Jessica on May. 7, 2015 at 8:39 PM
I am probably the odd ball but I am not. Milk allergies run strong in my family. All of my nephews have milk allergy and my son and my dad and a lot of my cousins kids. Anyway between that and a bad case of reflux the first 6mo was a nightmare. This time I'm playing it safe and starting on the sensitive formula and the reflux bottles and elevated bassinet. My sister tried the elimation diet and it's just not something I'm willing to do.
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on May. 7, 2015 at 8:59 PM
I will nurse this baby. I still (7 years later) have formula guilt from my son. I was 18 and uneducated. He was dehydrated still, after a week of horrible breast feeding attempts, so I stopped and pumped for him. He was still able to get breast milk for six weeks more, so 7 weeks total, but it was pure nightmare. I hate that we had that experience. My daughter...was amazing. She latched great, loved her boobie time, excellent nurser. However she had a horrible lip tie and a posterior tongue tie and it took me NINE MONTHS to find someone who would help me. None of the "professionals" helped me whatsoever in Texas, and finally when I moved to NY my cousins wife checked her out for me (she's a l&d nurse) and gave me a LIST of doctors in our area who were educated about it. Was able to get them both cut shortly after that :) she nursed through 18 months.
complextrina
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:26 PM
I plan to bf during the day and supplement at night. I'm the second oddball and don't enjoy bf...😕 when I go back to work it will be strictly formula.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)