Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else's doctor like this?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM
  • 12 Replies

My OB is really really strict on when he orders the anatomy scan. I hear about people getting them as early as 17 weeks. He will not schedule before 20 and likes to even go a little longer. I just had my 17 week appointment and expected to get an appointment for the anatomy scan. Nope. I have to come back at 21 weeks and THEN get an appointment for 1-2 weeks later for the anatomy scan. I mean - I already know what I am having but I still want to know that everything is healthy ya know :(

Does anyone else have to wait A LONG time to get the anatomy scan?

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShellBeth
by Michelle on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM

And I should say - I know that they like to wait so that everything is clear and I LOVE my OB and have no real complaints. It just seems like OB's are so different in how they like to do things! I cant believe I will be 23 weeks maybe when I get my anatomy scan!

tjane3000
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:33 AM
My ob isn't that strict but he does wait until 20 weeks.
Maries_Mommy112
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM
I didn't get mine with DD until 27 weeks. I don't know when I'll be getting one this time.
Ladyteancum
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:03 PM

I am getting two of the big scans this time around. One at 18 weeks and another at 25 weeks. I get ultrasounds at almost every appointments. My Ob loves doing them. He also is trying to keep me calm. 

ele2837
by Erika on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:26 PM
I can put mine on the schedule whenever I'm ready but he's always done mine at 20 weeks, or with my second it was 21 because I couldn't do it that week. I've never asked about doing one earlier but knowing him, I think he would be more likely to let me schedule it a little later but I doubt he'd do it earlier.
Kim2728
by Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:11 PM
My high risk doctor did mine today at 18+4..and my regular Dr had one scheduled for this Thursday but I had to change it
SamGames23
by Sam on Jun. 3, 2015 at 2:17 AM

I did with DD.

I had a scan at 14 weeks but thats only because my dad was home from Iraq and I asked. 

But otherwise I wouldn't of had one until 21 weeks. If not later.

JennPearce
by on Jun. 3, 2015 at 4:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Both Naval hospitals I have been to are very strict about that. They used to say 20, but here in Guam they like 21-22 weeks because that's the best time to see everything. I have to go out in town now because the hospital hasn't had a sonogram person in over a year so who knows how long it'll take to get a referral for that lol.

juniors.mommy
by Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 5:01 AM
I have to wait until 20 weeks for the anatomy scan because my insurance doesn't cover it until then we could get it now if we paid for it. Yay tri-care
Ferngully549
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM

My Ob isn't quite that strict but my anatomy scan is not until June 24. That's the earliest they would even consider, it's right at 20 weeks. They usually look for the basic stuff during the first u/s when they do dating (4 chambers in heart, stuff like that) so they aren't so worried about the anatomy scan so long as the preliminary stuff is shown as good.

edit to add: I got in so early at 20 weeks mostly because I am considered high risk. I have had other ladies tell me theirs was 22+ because of the regular clinic's limited scheduling for sonograms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)