Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was told to expect preterm labor again :(

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a history of early labor, my son was born at 36 weeks because I was induced due to high blood pressure. Now this pregnancy has actually been okay for the most part. But lately my BP is rising again...so much so that on Tuesday night I ended up at L&D to be monitored for contractions, headaches and swollen feet (not normal swelling...I'm talking like they looked like hobbit feet). Since I am 34 weeks now they did some tests for pre-eclampsia which thankfully came back negative. They gave me reglan and benadryl which both helped because my headache went away and my BP lowered, the benadryl made my feet less hobbit-y. 

They checked my cervix twice (ouch) and I am only 50% effaced and 1cm which means basically nothing has happened. But since I am already having painful contractions, they wanted to be sure it wasn't causing progress. I was told to expect an actual labor event anywhere from 2-4 weeks from now (36-38 weeks). 

Now I have to keep watching for the headaches if they don't go away after 1000mg of tylenol. The contractions are just going to happen (they said to basically tough it out) but if they become so painful that I have to stop to focus only on contracting AND have the headache, I need to come in. Same with any discharge, bleeding, etc. 

Damn, I was hoping to go full term with this one :(

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tessak22
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM

That is not considered pre-term labor. My youngest was born at 35 weeks. I am 35 weeks today and showing a lot of labor progression. 36 weeks is more than okay. Of course, the longer the better, but some people cant even make it to 30 weeks.

Ferngully549
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM

I have been told anything before 37 is preterm. Full term is 38+. Either way, I was hoping to make it to 40, I'd like to keep her in there as long as possible and not wonder the what ifs, especially because being induced was absolutely not fun and I really don't want to do it again if my blood pressure shoots up.

Quoting tessak22:

That is not considered pre-term labor. My youngest was born at 35 weeks. I am 35 weeks today and showing a lot of labor progression. 36 weeks is more than okay. Of course, the longer the better, but some people cant even make it to 30 weeks.

tessak22
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:11 PM

I totally get those concerns!!!! You are right on the technical term for preterm labor, I was wrong on that. However, hopefully this makes you feel better. My youngest who is now 4, was born at 35 weeks. He is now in the 95% percentile and the biggest kid in his preschool class. He needed help for a few days with breathing and on oxygen off and on but nothing major. He is healthy and happy and a strong and creative little boy. Try not to let it get you down. I would love to have a 40 week baby too, but that is not in my cards. My oldest was 37 and I am 35 weeks today with this one and I dont think I will make it much past a few more days. Being induced does seriously suck, with my youngest he came on his own and they broke my water after they knew there was no way to stay it and then had to do pitocin to keep it going since my water was broke, pitocin is BRUTAL! I wish you luck and hope that you can have at least a 38 week old baby :)

Quoting Ferngully549:

I have been told anything before 37 is preterm. Full term is 38+. Either way, I was hoping to make it to 40, I'd like to keep her in there as long as possible and not wonder the what ifs, especially because being induced was absolutely not fun and I really don't want to do it again if my blood pressure shoots up.

Quoting tessak22:

tjane3000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 9:22 AM
I'm sorry 😔. I hope she stays in as long as possible!
Mzr6mo44
by Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 9:34 AM
If you actually go into labor it's called preterm, then its just preterm contractions....
They said two to 4 weeks... Just pray its on the higher side.. Drink lots of fluids keep ur stress down.. Ive had two preemies and this one I dont expect any differnet just be grateful youve made it this far.. Its really no big deal to be born at 36 weeks unless ur baby has some major health issues...

My dd was born at 32 w spent 2 months in the nicu.. My son at 35 & only spent 4 days..

Id be happy u know whats up unlike a lot of mommy's who have no idea why we go into labor early.. at least if they induce u ..you know why =)
Crunchypanther
by Member on Oct. 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM
Don't hold on to tight to that. I went into preterm labor at 31 weeks. I got to 2.5cm and 60% effaced. Dr told me I would make it past 33-34 weeks.. I'm 36 weeks and 4 days. My youngest son came around this time and did no NICU time or anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)