Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Updated on Page 2: What would you do?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am all for helping people out when I can, but I feel like my neighbor is asking a little too much from me.  I have never been a fan of babysitting, but in the past I have done it for my neighbor when she needed the help.  Well, last school year, I watched her son in the mornings for about 1 1/2 hours before school then took him to the bus stop.  No big deal.  But since I have been pregnant it has been hard for me to get out of bed in the mornings and when P sleeps in, so do I.  Well, now she asked if I could do it again.  I told her I don't know what it is going to be like when the baby comes and I am struggling now as it is.  If the kids sleep in, then I don't want to have to wake them up or get up myself.  I told her in an emergency I could take him to the bus stop, but I don't want to commit to anything right now and then leave her stuck if I can't do it.  So then she asked if I could drive him to school if she couldn't be home.  I told her that I don't think I could do that.  If everyone is sleeping, I am not going to wake them up, get them dress, take them out in the cold to take her kid to school on the other side of town.  I just feel like that is a little much to ask someone with a newborn and a toddler.  I told her if he could just ride the bus those days I could walk him up there.  The bus stop is at the end of our street, which is very short and if I had to leave them in the house sleeping for a few minutes, I could.  All summer she has just let her kid run around the neighborhood, he just turned 7 and no one watches him.  My husband and I are constantly telling him to get out of the street and when I tell her that he was in another part of the neighborhood, she just says thanks.  What would you do?

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Replies (11-16):
Love4you2
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, that is ridiculous that she would let her child miss school because she doesn't want to figure out a way to get him there!  And to expect you to be home ALL DAY?!   You should also point out that there are lots of germs in schools and that you can't risk the baby getting ill- 'cause it sounds like if you don't nip this in the bud, you'll be the one she asks to watch him if he's too sick to go to school.  :/

Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Update!  Well after my crazy week last week, I finally got to talk to my neighbor.  I told her I just can't do it.  She said she totally understood.  She said if she gets mandated to work she will tell them she has to go home and take her kid to school, then come back to work the next shift.  She was not upset at all and understood where I was coming from.  She wanted to do before school care, but it doesn't start early enough for her husband to drop him off.  There is no one on our street who is going to the same school as him this year and all the buses come at different times.  Apparently this district goes  from kindergarten -1 in one school, 2-3 in another, 4-6, 7 and 8, then high school.  Messed up if you ask me, but for some reason that is the way they do it, so none of the other kids would be on the same bus.  Glad things went ok with this talk.  I don't like conflict or drama, so I am glad she understood.  Thanks for reading and all the responses!

CwgrlMama
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM
That is strange that the buses don't go to multiple schools. I remember having high schoolers on my bus when I was in 6th grade. Mark's bus will have K-5 and I think his school is K-2 or 3.
So what is her plan for the kid before school? Is he home alone? I would question his ability to get up and get himself ready if that's the case!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I think the whole bus thing is strange too, especially since all but one of the schools are in the same place.  Growing up all the schools I went to were in a different city.  In MD there are county school districts, not city school districts so we had a different bus for each school.  So the way Ohio does it to me is just odd.  He will just be home by himself.  His sisters bus comes at 7 so he will be home for about an hour.  I am guessing he will just sleep until she gets home to take him.  She said that he is able to get himself cereal in the morning when he does get up.  I know they pack their lunches and get their clothes out the night before, so maybe that will help.

Bangel23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Glad it worked out for you!

I'm from sandusky, and our busses were divided by school like that.  Our jr high (6-8th) was even behind the HS, literally the same property, but they still didn't mix the Jr's with the HSers.  Although, who knows if things have changed since I graduated in '97-ugh-lol

AJB220
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Glad this got all sorted out for you, what a mess.  When I was in school(another part of ohio though), they divided K-4th I believe, then fifth through high school. although the middle school, junior and h.s. were all different buildings but all together at that point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)