Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

adventures in potty training

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have been using halloween candy as a treat for going on the potty. Well today P saw the bag of candy and ran to the bathroom and said he has to pee. I asked why and he said because he wanted a treat. I hope this turns into him just going because he has to go. I have a feeling this is going to be a long road though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Love4you2
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Once mine got peeing down, I told them they only get a treat for poo or had to go the whole day for a treat. They eventually forgot about getting treats at all.
SicilyShelly78
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

It's a start!  I can't find anything that motivates Elly.  I offer her a treat when she does go, but she never wants it!  Good luck!!

carebear41
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Reflecting back on when Keegan was learning to use the potty, I have a strong feeling he began using the toilet because he saw his other friends using the toilet. I had 2 play dates in about 2 weeks and both children used the potty while they were at my house. Keegan watched his friends use the potty and I think it made a big impact on him. About a week after the play dates, Keegan woke up one morning and said he wanted to use the potty. We have not looked back since!
AJB220
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It took alex a while to get the swing of going to the potty without fighting him on it,  which is why we could took a break from it for awhile.  He actually did BM's first but didn't care about peeing for a long while.  Eventually we just went cold turkey, and dealt with some accidents and did it.  Potty charts worked well with him, once he filled one up we let him get a special toy, and I did set out a specific # of coins, and each time he went I woudl give him a coin to put in his bank.  Now he goes on his own and doesn't have any accidents, sometimes he still waits to long during the day though.

Love4you2
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister is only a year younger than me.  One day she went to mom, dropped her diaper, and said, "No more diapers!"  Done, lol! 

Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Anna... I will work towards that. That is a good idea.

Michelle...good luck. Nothing seems to really stick with P either but so far this seems to be working.

Carie...that's a great idea! I never thought of that.
Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Amy...i have been doing coins for a while with P. Even though we are doing candy I still do a coin and we just started a chart yesterday. So far the chart and candy seems to be working the best. We did underwear a few months ago without accidents then he stopped telling me he had to go and it was too much to clean up. I want to go cold turkey but I am afraid! :-)
Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Amy...i have been doing coins for a while with P. Even though we are doing candy I still do a coin and we just started a chart yesterday. So far the chart and candy seems to be working the best. We did underwear a few months ago without accidents then he stopped telling me he had to go and it was too much to clean up. I want to go cold turkey but I am afraid! :-)
Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Anna...i am hoping that happens with L! :-) that is...if I can get P potty trained!
carole76
by Group Admin on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I made a work chart, for learning (like singing alphabets), and for chors ( like helping me put away dishes), and also on that chart was a potty part. Every time she went to the potty she got a sticker and if she got 10 stickers on any of the chart she would get a prize. Prizes were like toy cars, stickers, ect.
Carie, I think that week was good for C also. She saw K interested in the potty, no more accidents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN