Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

adventures in potty training

Posted by   + Show Post
I have been using halloween candy as a treat for going on the potty. Well today P saw the bag of candy and ran to the bathroom and said he has to pee. I asked why and he said because he wanted a treat. I hope this turns into him just going because he has to go. I have a feeling this is going to be a long road though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
KatieB416
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Sounds like you're on the right path!! O was only 2 yrs 5 mths when she was potty trained, but putting stickers on her chart and showing daddy when he got home worked for her. She liked gaining extra attention. I also did smarties (recommended by Anna, I believe) when she asked. She was a lot younger, and she just liked collecting the stickers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AJB220
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

yeah I was afraid of cold turkey too, but just stuck with it, bought a pad for his bed, we spent a lot of time at home, wearing no pants and just underwear! Pullups didnt' work too well with Alex, it was almost just like a diaper to him.  Least with underwear he knew when he went in his pants!

Hyacinth72
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM

we had such a hard time with Gibson. He got major toys each time the first few days. We spent like 200.00. He just didn't get it. After the first week it went to only at the end of the day he could choose something from what was left, then we went to a sticker chart. When that was full he got to choose something then....he forgot about the stickers each time. He still has an accident every once in awhile if he gets to busy.

MNitz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

We've been working on it for seriously....almost 1 year.  It's only been since we moved down here that I've gotten really serious with it though.    We also reward with candy.  We don't use pull ups anymore, just  a diaper overnight.  If we aren't going anywhere I won't even put underwear on him.  He'll usually just wear a pair of sweatpants, no sense in ruining 2 pieces of clothing at the same time.  He has only told me a few times that he has to go.  I usually have to make him try every hour or so.

What is working recently is I say that I have to go potty and then I'll ask him if he has to.  He says no, but then he changes his mind.  It worked this morning at the library.  We peed before we left the house, went to storytime, and when we were leaving I said, " Hey, come to the bathroom with me, Mommy has to potty"  He said "ok mommy, I need to go potty too" and he did.

Good Luck!

MNitz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM

We may be on to something here.  I've been putting B on the potty to pee, but I sit him on it.  So the other day I decided to have him try to hold his penis and stand up to pee.  Now he seems more excited to go potty.  When I ask him if he has to go, he's saying " Yeah, I need to hold my doodle" (we call it his doodle).  

Love4you2
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Yay!  Z was much more excited about it when hubby showed him the stand-up method too! 

carole76
by Group Admin on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM
I will have to remember this when my little guy starts.

Great news Marisa, Yeah B!
AJB220
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Yay! Yeah by the time Alex got to standing up, he starting going more on his own at that point.

Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I think a work chart is a great idea!  I think I am going to start doing that too.  P is like his dad and is a little obsessive with cleaning.  I am sure that won't last forever, but I will take it while he does it!

Marissa...that is great!  I started letting P stand up because when we went out  I didn't want him sitting on the toilet if he didn't have to.  Now he loves to stand and sometimes he still sits but he likes to get his stool and stand up to go.  P has started shaking his off too.  It is really funny and I just can't help laughing when he does it!

MNitz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM

What I find the funniest is walking into the bathroom this morning.  Jason got B out of bed and he was standing up, peeing in the toilet when I walked in.  It cracks me up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)