Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snow is coming, are you ready?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

Looks like a Winter storm is coming our way.  starting with rain late Thursday night, and switching over to snow on Friday.  

Are you ready for the snow?

What prep do you do?

Do you just stay in?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceLoveZ
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM
We aren't going to get a lot... It drives me nuts when ppl get all twisted panties when it comes to snow... It's Ohio people. But even once the snow starts we won't have a bad winter which is nice. I don't mind the snow, just don't want it touching me lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carole76
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I moved here from Virginia, snow is a big deal for me.  I hate driving in it.  Some people think just because they live here they know how to drive.  They drive too fast, and don't take the proper actions when weather is bad, I worked at many insurance companies, and the people that I see in accidents are the ones that say,  I have driven in this weathers for years, just didn't think I would lose control.  

My husband works plowing city streets were impatient people don't give him the room, he needs to plow.  Then they flick him off.  They wonder why down the road they get in a accidents then blame the city.  My husband has been plowing for the last 8 years, and almost every year someone has hit him.

I guess I am one of those people that get their panties twisted, but I can say I have never been in an accident due to snow.

KatieB416
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM
I lived in Northern Michigan for 2 years, right in the "snow belt", but I still freak out a little when a snow storm is heading this way when we have a coinciding roadtrip to MI. With kids being in the car longer than usual is torturous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieB416
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM
My husband is one of those crazy drivers! Lol. He commutes to Youngstown 2-3 times a week. It's made him a worse driver!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MNitz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I wouldn't say my panties get twisted but it seems like the first snowfall of the season is the first snowfall ever.  People continue to drive like it's 80 degrees and July.  Everyone just needs to leave a few minutes earlier and allow more stopping distance.   I haven't listened to the weather but my parents are driving down to LEX on friday so I hope it's not much.

Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Being from Maryland I am not used to the snow and I hate driving in it. I am used to everything closing at the thought of snow and everyone hunkering down until the snow is gone. Growing up if snow was in the forecast then school/work would be cancelled whether we got snow the next day or not. They always called it the day before. One year we were at the ocean when a freak storm came and we were stuck for three days. We had to wait for a snow plow from Deleware. It was the only truck to plow all the main roads. I am not a fan of Ohio weather. I also found that I have an allergy to the cold. No joke! So no I am not looking forward to the winter weather!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AJB220
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I have lived in Oho a lot of my life, grew up in Ohio although not this area.  I've never been a fan of cold, or snow( except on Christmas, and maybe the 1st one)..But I have gotten used to driving in it.  Scott and I were dating, driving to his parents house in Cleveland Heights, from Massacussetts.  I think that's the most scared I was, the highways weren't even plowed!  The 1st snow is always crazy to me, cause people do freak out a little too much, breaking over excessivly (which never helps!)  I like to try to just stay home if it's going to be bad but hope its' not, friday is Alex's Christmas program--really looking forward to it.

CwgrlMama
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Texan here! Lol. I actually didn't hear about the snow. I'm as ready as I can be. Don't really know what to do to get ready. Weatherman says a tornado is coming and I know exactly what to do and have no qualms about it. I think my ignorance of a bad storm makes me a little more cautious. I know there's a lot of difference between the way the Texas road crews are prepared versus the way they are here but I always think about getting stuck at my mom's a couple years ago at the end of January when a storm hit. Matt was actually here interviewing!

I am looking forward to some snow. That's supposed to be part of our adventure here! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SicilyShelly78
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM
I hate snow. Wish I could move away from it. Hubby keeps saying we should move to Houston with his aunt. When I was 16, not long after I got my license, I hit black ice and went off the road on the side of Route 8. We had gotten hit by a freak blizzard back in 1994/95. My car slid down an embankment and got stuck against a fence. So much snow was piled against the door I couldn't open it. So I had to crawl out the window and walk a few miles to find a pay phone (no one had cell phones back then). Tow truck came for the car, but left me on the road because they said they couldn't be responsible for my safety riding in the truck in that weather. After all of that, having to walk a few miles three times in a blizzard, and being only 16, I have never liked snow or driving in it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carole76
by Group Admin on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Wow, that's horrible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)