Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update (12.30.12) Caulin's Crew

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am hoping some of you might find some time to send a birthday card to Keegan and Keira's cousin, Caulin Booher, who had a bone marrow transplant at Cincinnati Children's hospital in August. He has been fighting leukemia but just found out he now has lymphoma and will start chemo - today. His 10th bday is the day after Christmas.

Please send birthday wishes to

Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Caulin Booher room 512 Bldg A
... 3333 Burnet Ave.
Cincinnati, Ohio 45229.

He will be there a bit so it is ok if the card is late...better late than never! He loves to receive mail :) Prayers to the family too....Merry Christmas.

Thanks!

Carie
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Love4you2
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Poor kid! Chemo sucks, but hope it works for him. The kids and I will send out a card as soon as possible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carole76
by Group Admin on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I will mail it Wednesday.

SicilyShelly78
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM
The girls are working on a card tonight!
carole76
by Group Admin on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Going out tomorrow, mailman came before I expected him.  Going out tomorrow.

Love4you2
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Our mailman came early too. Wonder if they got a head start with the storm coming...

carebear41
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

You ladies are so sweet!  Thank you so much for taking the time to put a smile on Caulin's face.  Lastest update is that chemo was postponed a few days due to low sodium levels.

carebear41
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Here is the latest blog entry by Kevin's sister (Caulin's mom).  I know and so appreciate that some of those cards/packages came from my dear mom friends...thank you!

On Friday Caulin was up early for an IV placement, CT scan and PET scan. Those three things took up most of the morning. The results were discussed with us later Friday afternoon. The scans showed no change in the nodules (lymphoma). The doctors considered this good since it showed that the cancer has not progressed and his body is tolerating the steroids and small amount of chemotherapy he received last Sunday. They called his dose last Sunday a "whiff" of chemo. Apparently, some patients can't even tolerate that. We are thankful he could. The EBV level is still extremely high. They have the job of not only lowering the EBV but also getting rid of the lymphoma. The lymphoma is EBV driven so they are hoping that by eliminating one, they will effectively get rid of the other.

Today he starts the treatment regimen (called the induction phase). He will get 2 different chemotherapy drugs (methotrexate and vincristine) as well as a steroid. We are praying ease on his body. They started hydration last night so he was up a lot to use the restroom. They will give anti-nausea drugs round the clock. He will have a combination of different chemotherapy drugs for the next 5 days then he will have another LP (spinal) at the end of the week to deliver another chemo. After that we've been told that he has 2 weeks off to recover, then the whole cycle starts again. His blood counts will likely drop and fevers are possible. We have been told that we will be here most likely for the next month. We are hoping no longer.

Please keep Caulin in your prayers as he is having a hard time seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. So much uncertainty here. I've stopped checking the online chart that I used to check several times a day. I've freed myself from that burden and I'm much more at ease without it. For now, we enjoy being together, we try to stay strong and keep our heads up, and we pray for healing. Like I've said before, God will take care of Caulin.

All the cards and packages have been absolutely AWESOME. They have been a good distraction. I hear we are also getting a map to record the places from which they come. The teacher in me loves that. Thank you dear friends.

Blessings.

KatieB416
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Prayers for your nephew! I meant to mail ours out from Michigan. That would have added to the map.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carole76
by Group Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Please keep this family in your prayer, he was admitted to ICU this morning with breathing issues. He and his family need lots of prayers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN