Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Homeschooling Moms Here?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi, I live in Stow and am new to homeschooling.  I'm looking to meet other local moms who are homeschooling and my kids are eager to make new homeschooling friends!   Please reply or PM me if you'd like to chat!!  

Thanks!

Kathryn

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
carole76
by Group Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
We have had a few ladies on here that homeschool, but their kids are no going to Akron schools. I thought about it for my little girl. I delayed a lot of her vaccines, anddidnt want to go through all the questions, but after seeing friends on here having good experiences with Akronschools i think she will star K next year. My sister home schools, my nephew is a challenge, and had trouble in K, so after two phone calls home, and kept going to the principals office she took him out of school, and now home schooling him. She lives in Alaska, the quality of school is not the same. Welcome to the group, and good luck with home schooling.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Love4you2
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Hi Kathryn,

I homeschooled through the OHVA/ K12 program.  They had great resources and events for students and parents.  I would highly recommend K12 if you are using an on-line school. 

While we are no longer homeschooling, this group of moms plan activities and meet-ups often.  You are welcome to join us anytime, just check the calendar for upcoming events! 

~Anna

2BoysAndaMa
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Thanks so much for the heads up. I am new to this so I wouldn't have knows to check the calendar! :)   We are not using an online program right now. I looked into a few including K12 and they all required my 6 year old to be sitting at a computer for the better part of 6 hours a day.  That is not what I want for  him right now, but I can definitely see using an internet based curriculumn when my kids are older and the program will allow them more freedom.

2BoysAndaMa
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I just checked the calendar and I don't see any events for this month.  Am I doing it right? lol  I had "all events" selected as to what type.  

CwgrlMama
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM
We're a bit slow right now. A lot of us have been sick. And with the unpredictable weather, we've not had as many activities. There is a post about planning an activity. There may be some overall ideas of what will be going on soon in that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carole76
by Group Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Sorry, I am slacking on my calendar duties.  I will update it soon, we have a cupcake and valentine even on Fri, the 15th.  There is a post giving details on this event. 

Akron Libraries are having an event, I think this weekend at the main library.  We have gone as a group in the past, and I would love to go this year.  I will put up more info tomorrow.

Please if you have any questions, just ask we are a pretty spunky, helpful, caring bunch.

You can check out pictures of some events we have done below in the pics for the group, if you want to look at more recent pics there is a post called 2012 pics.

Look onward to chatting with you and learning more about you nd your family.

Love4you2
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Actually, a lot of the course work was done in workbooks and activities you set up and do with the student. They send tons of materials and books. The parent does more of the online part for that age- like putting the tests scores into the computer after they do the work in the workbook. My DD was in Kindergarten last year when we did K12. It was hard for me to spread my time between helping her, doing my own coursework, working part-time and taking care of my then 2yr.old.
The family reads event is Feb. 9th from 10am-4pm.!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN