• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money saving tips

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

I know we all have them.  Little things we do to save ourselves even a few pennies.  What are some things you do at home to save some money?  List your tips here.  I thought it would be fun to get tips from everyone and share some ideas!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Homemade bread crumbs

Take 2 pieces of bread and grind them up very fine.  I use a Ninja and it makes the perfect bread crumb consistency.  Then I add in some basil, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.  I mix it a few more seconds to get all the spices mixed well.  Then I put my oven on the lowest temperature and sprinkle the bread crumbs on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  I put the breadcrumbs in the oven for about 20 minutes just to dry them out.  2 pieces of bread makes about a cup of bread crumbs.  I have also made them and not put them in the oven and they work just fine also.  You can add any spice you like.  And there...instant bread crumbs!  If your kids don't like the crusts and you cut them off and throw them away, you can cut the crusts off first and save them in a ziploc bag until you are ready to make bread crumbs!  Or use bread that got hard because someone forgot to tie the bread bag closed!  Saves a few dollars and you have freash bread crumbs!

carole76
by Group Admin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

How fun...

I guess a money saver to me is get onions and mushrooms while they are on sale get them chopped up and cleaned and freeze them to use in meals.

Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I didn't know you could freeze either of those. I will have to do that!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carole76
by Group Admin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I learned from my busy day gourmet you can freeze a lot of veggies

CwgrlMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM
We just recently discovered the "clearance" rack in Beuhler's produce dept. wow!! Lol. It was mostly fruit this last time but I plan on looking each time to see if there are veggies that I can put away. My problem is always remembering they're there..... :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RyleighJane
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM
I freeze green peppers and onions when we use them, never use the whole thing. I also freeze beef once in a while when I find it on sale, I buy extra.
carole76
by Group Admin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Rachel Ray had a lot of food saving tips on her show yesterday.  Onions hung up by panty hose, flour and rice stay better in a glass food saver container, lettuce stored in a air tight bag....

happy2bamom123
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I am taking notes!  I have been trying to do the meatless monday thing.  This year we have been eating a bean dish once a week, that covers two days atleast., This week we might be going through the freezer and usingup either dinners I've frozen and forgotten abot or the little pieces of meat I throw into the freezer that are leftover from dinners past.-

I know I love to go to Circle K for bread and milk.  I won't pay over 32.50 for a gallon. I am thrilled if I can find milk for 2.39

CwgrlMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Andrea, do you use your bread crumbs immediately or will they keep for a bit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mdmooch
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Great tips! Keep them coming!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)