Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Earn it back

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 8 Replies
Mark has been having some issues behaving lately and I feel like I need a new approach to discipline. I plan on taking things away and having him earn them back but I'm not sure what do have him do to earn them back. All the chores I think of are things if like to slowly add to his duties anyway so I don't want to use them here. Any ideas or thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
carole76
by Group Admin on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I did this with big C, when teaching her to pee on the potty, she would get something every time she peed and lose something when she peed in her pants.

Not sure how good it worked, she did great for awhile then we stopped, then a month after she was back to peeing in her pants.  I guess my advice is stick with it.

Got to think more into this, to give you some better feed back...

CwgrlMama
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking for a few days and haven't come up with much. I want to reward the good behavior so I would like it to be tied to that. Matt thought may be I should just take them away for a certain amount of time but I don't know if I want to do that plus my memory is horrible and days run together!! Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carole76
by Group Admin on Apr. 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I would do a chart maybe of things he does well, like a chore chart.  Put some things that might be helpful to you and the family, and when he fills it up he gets to spend ten dollars on a toy. That worked best with C, she loved having that chart filled.  She would even help me come up with more things to put on the chart to fill it up faster.  

AJB220
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I'm doing something like this with A.  Lately his behavior, whining and not using his words and seemed to get out of whack.  So this is what I came up with.  For each time he cant use his words or a target unwanted behavior, I have taken a coin out of his bank and put it in a jar.  And throughout the day, I have put a coin back in if he does do good behavior for something.  If he has no coins in the jar, then he gets a sticker to put on a chart.  If he gets 5 stickers, I told him he'd get  a special prize.  We just started this, and i kept enforcing it today,a nd he had a great day! So he got a sticker today, and he was super excited aobut it.  He seems to be really motivated about coins though, we did something like this with potty training.

carole76
by Group Admin on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM

That sounds awesome, good thinking.

CwgrlMama
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM
That's very cool! I don't think Mark would be as motivated though. :( He's so tough sometimes! I decided to start doing a set amount of time and I can adjust later if I come up with things. Tonight he lost his Hot Wheels wall track when he hit the connectors off the wall and his priveledge to play Mario when he almost knocked Will over with his balled up socks. It's silly little things like this that he's started doing. Not sure if it is school or some of the kids he plays with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AJB220
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Jenny--hope you find something that motivates Mark..behavior is hard to deal with sometimes. A seems to get frustrated at things or doesn't want to do this or the other thing and can't seem to express himself normally, and just has a fit.  Admitedly I've been letting some of it go, tryting to keep quieter so Scott can sleep. but it's gotten out of control, every day has seemed like a battle.  but this really worked, so hopefully it'll keep working.

Bangel23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I like the coin idea. Might have to try that to change things up. Been doing the stickers to prize thing for awhile now and barely helping at all anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)