Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marriage counciling, what is your take on it?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok for a little over a month I have been in counciling by myself and with my husband.  Having done this before and saw great results, until my hubby went back to old ways. I am going into counciling a little different this time, and very reserved, and watching how my husband handles and what he takes it, in.  He was doing great the first few weeks , but after a busy schedule starting up and everything, things we have been advised to do are being set aside until life catches up.  A simple thing like date night is turning into a grocery shopping trip, or running to the store together to pay a bill.  Seems like now when we go to counciling he feels we are making process and I feel horrible, that I have to share so much with a outsider.  

What is you opinion of seeing a marriage counseler?  Do you see the bennifit ?  

Is there something I can do to make me feel more comfortable when talking to a shrink for a hour about old bad memories I really don't want to talk about?

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Replies (11-16):
carole76
by Group Admin on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Hugs

Bangel23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Hugs to you too!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MadisonRosesMom
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I am all for counciling! I call it matainence on your marriage! I think couples should go before the problems get huge. It's always good to get an opinion from a professional outside the marriage looking in. If both partners are open to what they have to say, then it will work.

Bangel23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Do you go every so often? Was wondering about that. Like if we Get back to good, is it still a good idea to check in with the shrink for maintenance like you said!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carebear41
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I love going to counseling!!!  I have gone personally, as a couple, and even for my kids every so often.  It is a wonderful outlet to express your feelings and to get some guidance on improving your life.  I think every person could benefit from seeing a therapist. Life is really hard!  Life is extra hard when you are trying to balance being a mom, a friend, a (enter religion), a daughter, a wife, etc. 

I used to think people were weak to need therapy, but now I see that you have to be a very strong person to admit that you are not perfect and thay you want to strive to be better!

Bangel23
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

wonderful to hear such good things about it :)

considering if I should do something with Lo to help me figure out how to handle him....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)