Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Visitors?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:36 AM
  • 20 Replies
My family lives far away so no problem for me but his family is all right here. We are in Louisiana it's a 24 hour stay so I'm asking that no one be at the hospital but me & DF or should I let his mom & dad come?

I don't want his whole family at the house the next day either. He has no clue about babies so I've explained that with DD I didn't put my foot down so she was got sore from being handled so much on day 2. I know they are all excited for the baby but I really just want my space not to mention they are insanely loud! I'll be breastfeeding and without my family for support I'll just want to be alone.
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenalex04
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:45 AM
You need to have DH let them know that you and the baby need to rest from the experience and wait a few days if you feel that way. There is no reason to add extra stress. I let family visit after 24 hours in the hospital but I would tell them times that were close to nesting and hospital closed visiting hours. That way I knew they wouldn't be able to stay too long. Plus I made them bring yummy food since hospital food sucks :)
Oldforge001
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:00 AM

I totally understand, I dont want any visitors at the hospital and for the first few days at home- especially since its is winter and people will most likely have colds.  He is the complete opposite, he thinks everyone should be able to come to the hospital. I want to be able to spend time with just DH and the baby.  I am going to send everyone a text when it gets closer to the due date so there is no issue.

bethann9988
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:05 AM
The food part does sound good. I am worried a boy hurting everyone's feelings and I also worry DF won't be backing me.

Quoting Jenalex04: You need to have DH let them know that you and the baby need to rest from the experience and wait a few days if you feel that way. There is no reason to add extra stress. I let family visit after 24 hours in the hospital but I would tell them times that were close to nesting and hospital closed visiting hours. That way I knew they wouldn't be able to stay too long. Plus I made them bring yummy food since hospital food sucks :)
bethann9988
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:06 AM
I wish I could get DF on board with me here since it's all his family but I'll have to look like the big mean mom.

Quoting Oldforge001:

I totally understand, I dont want any visitors at the hospital and for the first few days at home- especially since its is winter and people will most likely have colds.  He is the complete opposite, he thinks everyone should be able to come to the hospital. I want to be able to spend time with just DH and the baby.  I am going to send everyone a text when it gets closer to the due date so there is no issue.

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:12 AM
This shouldn't really be an issue for me ...my hospital may put the maternity ward on lock down for flu season depending on how bad it gets. Only immediate family can visit and really that's all I want. Defiantly put your foot down! I've decided that I want everyone who wants to come and visit give me at least a 2hr notice before coming and when we go home if I'm in the baby's nursery they aren't aloud to come in period. I'm making that mine and the babies personal space quiet time etc. I would just tell them you don't want visitors for the first few days so you and baby can relax recoup and bond! Gl
Jenalex04
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:47 AM
You might not even know what you'll be comfortable with until after. You never know how much time it will take to recoup and adjust. Childbirth is not easy for you or the baby. Maybe explaining that you just need to feel it out and that you need to be able to rely on him to be able to help you relax if you need more time. It's also important for him too, to get used to the new baby with you. Who knows! Maybe you guys will be up for it right away, but the unknowing makes that difficult. I think that's what was hardest for me. I didn't want to commit to having to see people when I had no idea if I'd even be ok yet.

Quoting bethann9988: The food part does sound good. I am worried a boy hurting everyone's feelings and I also worry DF won't be backing me.
Quoting Jenalex04: You need to have DH let them know that you and the baby need to rest from the experience and wait a few days if you feel that way. There is no reason to add extra stress. I let family visit after 24 hours in the hospital but I would tell them times that were close to nesting and hospital closed visiting hours. That way I knew they wouldn't be able to stay too long. Plus I made them bring yummy food since hospital food sucks :)

tuckermum
by Crysta on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:06 AM

I plan to only let my parents come to the hospital because they will be watching ds.

I would just tell them. They can wait a few days tell them you'd like your dd to get time to get used to the baby too. I'd maybe let his parents but no one else.

HappyFamilyOf5
by Ronnette on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Right now I plan on just having my mom show up cuz she will be watching the kids. His mom makes me upset and anxious so she has to stay away. I would let them know ahead of time.

RedHeadTemper
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Like some have said put your foot down. I'm sorry DH doesn't appear to be 100% with you, does he go to doctor appointments with you? Maybe you can mention to the doctor your plan and that might convince him? Sorry I'm not more help than that.

bethann9988
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:00 PM
No he only went with me to two appointments so he is clueless.

Quoting RedHeadTemper:

Like some have said put your foot down. I'm sorry DH doesn't appear to be 100% with you, does he go to doctor appointments with you? Maybe you can mention to the doctor your plan and that might convince him? Sorry I'm not more help than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)