Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Godparents

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:35 PM
  • 19 Replies
I know this isn't something that effects everyone but is anyone else having to pick Godparents? (I am talking in the true sense of people mentioned at a Christening/Baptism)

Where I am from it is still a very big deal being asked to be a Godparent to the extent that often you would only be a godparent to one person because it is seen as a big commitment.

We are really struggling this time around to pick people.

Anyone else having this issue ?
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachel216
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:00 PM
Not really..here its not that big commitment its still a big deal to be asked but not like your describing. Personally I would ask dhs cousin since I think shed make an awesome godparent. Good luck with picking its a tough choice
bethann9988
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Actually my DF's family and where he is from (south Louisiana) it's a very big deal. Not to me but if we are going through all of this then Im trying to take it serious.

His mother assumed we would ask his sister but I don't think she should get by default. I would love to ask my cousin and friend. His mom went has far to have a bib made up already for his sister being the "nanny" what they call the god mother.

What are you thinking you want in your god parents? His sister is young and free doesn't seem ready to actually be serious. She doesn't embody everything I want in the person who might raise my child. My cousin or my friend are more who I would like. They both are well rounded very driven people
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:21 PM
Thanks

It was so easy with the last one. :(

Quoting rachel216: Not really..here its not that big commitment its still a big deal to be asked but not like your describing. Personally I would ask dhs cousin since I think shed make an awesome godparent. Good luck with picking its a tough choice
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:26 PM
It is difficult when others have already formed an opinion.

I'm not talking about the people who would get the kids if we died (that is already settled as one of my brothers), so these people are wholly unconnected with that (for some that may over lap but if you want someone to take care of your kids that isn't a god parent and is written in a will) just religious and where I am from they take on a very involve 'aunt/uncle' role

The ones or the babe last time was easy - one included a nun (!)

Just this time I am not sure. Part of me thinks one of my best friends but then I would have to pick between 2 and I'm not sure I could

Quoting bethann9988: Actually my DF's family and where he is from (south Louisiana) it's a very big deal. Not to me but if we are going through all of this then Im trying to take it serious.

His mother assumed we would ask his sister but I don't think she should get by default. I would love to ask my cousin and friend. His mom went has far to have a bib made up already for his sister being the "nanny" what they call the god mother.

What are you thinking you want in your god parents? His sister is young and free doesn't seem ready to actually be serious. She doesn't embody everything I want in the person who might raise my child. My cousin or my friend are more who I would like. They both are well rounded very driven people
bethann9988
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:05 PM
I have a GodSon he is my main man I'm his aunt Beth but should his parents pass he goes to her mother. I didn't think God parents got the kids till his mom said that and then i thought oh heck no his sister is not going to be the pick.

Quoting StreetsAhead: It is difficult when others have already formed an opinion.

I'm not talking about the people who would get the kids if we died (that is already settled as one of my brothers), so these people are wholly unconnected with that (for some that may over lap but if you want someone to take care of your kids that isn't a god parent and is written in a will) just religious and where I am from they take on a very involve 'aunt/uncle' role

Just this time I am not sure. Part of me thinks one of my best friends but then I would have to pick between 2 and I'm not sure I could

Quoting bethann9988: Actually my DF's family and where he is from (south Louisiana) it's a very big deal. Not to me but if we are going through all of this then Im trying to take it serious.

tuckermum
by Crysta on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:58 PM
We don't do Christenings or anything so we dont do Godparents. If anything happens to us right now our kids will go to our parents and if they are unable they will go to my brother and sister in law.
crazy4chapstick
by Group Admin on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Where I'm from (or how I was raised ) godparents take the kids in the event of death. so it's a big deal.

I've never been asked to be a godparent.....which I always thought was weird because people used to always dump their kids on me. Most people that I know their kids would go to their parents though.
I picked one of my brothers and his wife to take my kids. I would not give my kids to my parents lol.

Quoting bethann9988: I have a GodSon he is my main man I'm his aunt Beth but should his parents pass he goes to her mother. I didn't think God parents got the kids till his mom said that and then i thought oh heck no his sister is not going to be the pick.

Quoting StreetsAhead: It is difficult when others have already formed an opinion.

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 3:38 AM
I have never heard that until I came on CM.
Maybe it is just an Americanism of using the same word for a legal relationship as has been used in a religious setting. Because surely you would have to sign papers, standing up in church and saying you will look after their spiritual development can't be a legally binding act of 'I will take your child when you die'

I agree with you that most people pick their parents to look after their kids if they are dead. I'm the same as you though one of my brothers gets them (though my parents still have legal status to make decisions)

Quoting crazy4chapstick: Where I'm from (or how I was raised ) godparents take the kids in the event of death. so it's a big deal.

I've never been asked to be a godparent.....which I always thought was weird because people used to always dump their kids on me. Most people that I know their kids would go to their parents though.
I picked one of my brothers and his wife to take my kids. I would not give my kids to my parents lol.

Quoting bethann9988: I have a GodSon he is my main man I'm his aunt Beth but should his parents pass he goes to her mother. I didn't think God parents got the kids till his mom said that and then i thought oh heck no his sister is not going to be the pick.

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 3:40 AM
Too me they are completely different things, wholly unconnected (and are called different things)

Do you have a Will drawn up saying that ?

Quoting tuckermum: We don't do Christenings or anything so we dont do Godparents. If anything happens to us right now our kids will go to our parents and if they are unable they will go to my brother and sister in law.
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 3:42 AM
Aww, how old is he?

I am with you, they are separate things. Saying you will look after the spiritual welfare (or any welfare in humanistic celebrations) doesn't give that person any legal rights to the child and certainly isn't a binding contract. The person who gets your kids is the person you decide in your Will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)