Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Burping/spit up

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:57 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hazel has been spitting up like crazy since she had her tongue release. Recently she stopped being easy to burp! Spit up has increased and I'm starting to wonder if she's keeping down any meal! Any advice? We've never been gentle with her to get her to burp- I mean we support her and it's rather firm- so that's not the issue! We burp for at least 5 minutes... I've started just trying to keep her upright for 20ish minutes after a meal but it's not fixing the problem!!!
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cheergurl84
by Group Admin on Jan. 31, 2016 at 4:04 AM
It sounds to me like she probably doesn't have colic, but GERD instead. My daughter has reflux and cries when she's uncomfortable and throws her arms and legs around. She also spits up a lot. We elevate her after meals, and she's on zantac. Another thing it could be is overactive letdown.
hurst0three
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:02 AM
Haley has reflux also and we have to elevate her for 30 min after each feeding to keep her spit up minimum. She's also on zantac. Maybe try keeping her up longer?
bethann9988
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:22 AM
Now that your supply is up and she can latch better I think it could be your let down and she maybe over eating. I know what I can pump from both boobs so when Carmine decides he is going to nuts and drain both boobs then some he spits up.
crazy4chapstick
by Group Admin on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:51 PM
We rub the tummy, make her legs do the bicycle, try putting her on her side for a few minutes. sometimes the changes in positions can help.
PortlandJane
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 10:42 PM
We do stretches for her colic.

Quoting crazy4chapstick: We rub the tummy, make her legs do the bicycle, try putting her on her side for a few minutes. sometimes the changes in positions can help.
PortlandJane
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM
We went to the pediatrician today. Since Hazel doesn't seem in distress when she spits up, the doctor recommended we elevate after meals- already doing, add baby gas x since we are having issues with failed burping, and elevating her while she sleeps. Doctor said she can sleep in the swing as long as her head is supported- no flopping, we have a full body harness on ours- or we can stick a few blankets under her mattress and attempt to elevate her head. Hopefully she will be better about being put to bed!!! 😭😭😭😭😭
tuckermum
by Crysta on Feb. 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

At one point I gave up on burping ds because everytime I burped him it caused him to spit up. He would actually burp on his own and be fine. I kind of do that with Verona I try and burp her but if she doesn't burp with in a couple mins I don't try anymore and a lot of times she will burp herself.

HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2016 at 3:24 PM

My LO has been spitting up more than I feel comfortable w/ too, like making me wonder whether she's keeping anything down sometimes.  I found making sure any coffee I drink doesn't get into the breastmilk she takes (feeding or pumping right before and then giving bottles for 3 hours after, or pumping and dumping), eliminating my iron pill, mylicon drops (although I had to develop a trick for those: I have to wait a few minutes after she's definitely done nursing, then lay her down a little on her side, squirt the drops into the cheek pocket that's on top, and then keep her upright-ish for a while afterward).

If you're breastfeeding, watch out for "overactive letdown" (FKA "forceful letdown").  I've always had that and right before I was going to switch to exclusively pumping, I posted in the Advice for Moms group and they suggested leaning back to nurse; that helped a lot.

She still spits up more than I'd like, but it's mostly just spitting up a little extra milk and only like once or twice a day does she truly vomit, and we've learned how to keep that to a minimum volume-wise too, so all around a happier baby.

I hope things are going well otherwise for both of you!!! ((hugs))

PortlandJane
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2016 at 1:06 AM
I'm just so happy she's finally gaining weight my brain is exploding! She's not distressed by it... I've tried laying down to feed but not reclining. I'll have to give it a shot!

Quoting HunnyBabie:

My LO has been spitting up more than I feel comfortable w/ too, like making me wonder whether she's keeping anything down sometimes.  I found making sure any coffee I drink doesn't get into the breastmilk she takes (feeding or pumping right before and then giving bottles for 3 hours after, or pumping and dumping), eliminating my iron pill, mylicon drops (although I had to develop a trick for those: I have to wait a few minutes after she's definitely done nursing, then lay her down a little on her side, squirt the drops into the cheek pocket that's on top, and then keep her upright-ish for a while afterward).

If you're breastfeeding, watch out for "overactive letdown" (FKA "forceful letdown").  I've always had that and right before I was going to switch to exclusively pumping, I posted in the Advice for Moms group and they suggested leaning back to nurse; that helped a lot.

She still spits up more than I'd like, but it's mostly just spitting up a little extra milk and only like once or twice a day does she truly vomit, and we've learned how to keep that to a minimum volume-wise too, so all around a happier baby.

HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2016 at 12:20 AM
Something else occurred to me. You said she's not burping even when you're due there's one in there and that you're being fourth posting her. I remember that one of mine needed to be posted gently to burp. It was weird to me, but we do what ever works for our LOs.

Quoting PortlandJane: I'm just so happy she's finally gaining weight my brain is exploding! She's not distressed by it... I've tried laying down to feed but not reclining. I'll have to give it a shot!

Quoting HunnyBabie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)