Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleeping and breastfeeding?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM
  • 9 Replies
How are y'all adjusting to your babies sleeping longer? Hazel just did another 5.5 hour chunk and my head is happy but my breasts are ANGRY! I had to pump 4 oz just so she could latch! Is this safe for my supply????
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Yup, same here.  When my boobs miss a feeding they get really ticked off at me. lol  Your supply will adjust to her consumption.  When your breasts expect her to have a feeding, they'll produce milk, whatever she doesn't drink is reabsorbed by your body, and then as another feeding increases your production will increase too; anything you pump, save and either give her in a bottle or freeze for later.  My older children feed the baby bottles, so I try to make sure they have milk so she doesn't have to have formula anymore than absolutely necessary.

PortlandJane
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 10:27 PM
I've been freezing the extra. I have close to 60 ounces! That's just pumping once or twice and having a bottle for DH to give her every day!!! I just called the local milk bank but I can't donate since the medication I'm on is an anti seizure med, bad for premies...

Quoting HunnyBabie:

Yup, same here.  When my boobs miss a feeding they get really ticked off at me. lol  Your supply will adjust to her consumption.  When your breasts expect her to have a feeding, they'll produce milk, whatever she doesn't drink is reabsorbed by your body, and then as another feeding increases your production will increase too; anything you pump, save and either give her in a bottle or freeze for later.  My older children feed the baby bottles, so I try to make sure they have milk so she doesn't have to have formula anymore than absolutely necessary.

HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Yay!!! =)  I can't pump that much; I don't have time.  IDk where all the time goes (3 hours a day goes to my nap, for one, but...I've also got school coming up and I'm going to have two classe, so IDK how I'm going to fit in all the reading and writing and watching presentations; I'll have to dig up my earbuds and do a lot of it while I'm nursing; thankfully, I can sleep baby on her tummy during the day for a few hours at a time, so that frees up my hands)....sorry. *blushes

I'm sorry you can't donate. =\  Maybe you can use the frozen milk instead of formula or cow's milk when you wean?  That's what I want to do.  I'm going to see about getting a double electric pump from the hospital, hopefully some time this month.  Then I'll pump and be able to wean LO onto a sippy cup sometime between 9 and 12 mos.  IDK we'll see; my plans fluctuate. lol

Quoting PortlandJane: I've been freezing the extra. I have close to 60 ounces! That's just pumping once or twice and having a bottle for DH to give her every day!!! I just called the local milk bank but I can't donate since the medication I'm on is an anti seizure med, bad for premies...
Quoting HunnyBabie:

S.W.W.G. group

"Bump Pics Posts" *links*

PortlandJane
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 4:27 PM
Call your insurance and see what's kind of pump they'll over. Mine did a mendella pump in style! I got an electronic double pump for free!

Quoting HunnyBabie:

Yay!!! =)  I can't pump that much; I don't have time.  IDk where all the time goes (3 hours a day goes to my nap, for one, but...I've also got school coming up and I'm going to have two classe, so IDK how I'm going to fit in all the reading and writing and watching presentations; I'll have to dig up my earbuds and do a lot of it while I'm nursing; thankfully, I can sleep baby on her tummy during the day for a few hours at a time, so that frees up my hands)....sorry. *blushes

I'm sorry you can't donate. =\  Maybe you can use the frozen milk instead of formula or cow's milk when you wean?  That's what I want to do.  I'm going to see about getting a double electric pump from the hospital, hopefully some time this month.  Then I'll pump and be able to wean LO onto a sippy cup sometime between 9 and 12 mos.  IDK we'll see; my plans fluctuate. lol

Quoting PortlandJane: I've been freezing the extra. I have close to 60 ounces! That's just pumping once or twice and having a bottle for DH to give her every day!!! I just called the local milk bank but I can't donate since the medication I'm on is an anti seizure med, bad for premies...

Quoting HunnyBabie:

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 5:21 PM
Yes! James is sleeping from 930-10 til 3sometimes 4!!!! My boobs kill me when I wake up. Today was my first day back at work and I was able to pump 10oz in one sitting!!!!!! Your supply will adjust soon :) that sucks you werent able to donate but at least you tired!
HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 8:28 PM
I'll have to check that out! That'd be so much better than just renting from the hospital. Thanks! :)

Quoting PortlandJane: Call your insurance and see what's kind of pump they'll over. Mine did a mendella pump in style! I got an electronic double pump for free!

Quoting HunnyBabie:

Quoting HunnyBabie:

bethann9988
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM
The other night he slept from 9-3:30am I didn't think he would be able to latch on but he manages. Both boobs felt like rocks and he was more than happy to help.
I wish I had that much frozen. I have none put back I hate it but I hardly have time to think.
PortlandJane
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2016 at 2:11 PM
It's hard to pump when baby won't let you put him down!!!!

Side note: any recommendations for flying with baby?

Quoting bethann9988: The other night he slept from 9-3:30am I didn't think he would be able to latch on but he manages. Both boobs felt like rocks and he was more than happy to help.
I wish I had that much frozen. I have none put back I hate it but I hardly have time to think.
tuckermum
by Crysta on Mar. 17, 2016 at 10:40 AM
Your supply will adjust. :) it's amazing. I usually hand express if it hurts to much but Verona usual sleeps 6 hour stretches at night it's crazy Van woke every 2 hours for quite a while.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)