Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - getting a house

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:42 PM
  • 10 Replies
So I randomly look for a new house to rent. The one we are in isn't ideal for the size family we eventually want, nor the location we'd like to live in.
Today I ran across 2 houses for sale. At this point, due to my student loans, we are not able to get a mortgage. I called and asked if we could do rent to own, with a lot of doubt on that. They actually said it was possible, and told me how it usually works, and they will find out for sure (assuming needing to talk to the owners, since it was an agent I talked with) and get back to me in a day or 2! I am so excited!
It's not really the best time to move, since our current lease isn't up, however, if we got one of these homes, I'd be willing to let go of the $500 deposit from here !
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wldntulike2no
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:05 PM
Ill pray it works out for you guys sweetie!!!
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:51 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Wldntulike2no: Ill pray it works out for you guys sweetie!!!
Oliviajayne
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope it all works out!! :)
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck! I'm always looking for new real estate, but I haven't found a deal good enough to make me sell.
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:27 PM
Both of these are great.

One is 4 bedroom (which is what we prefer), 2 bath but it's not in our preference school district. It misses it by 2 streets. Also comes with a playground set in the backyard.

The other is only 3 bedroom, with 3 full baths, 2 enclosed porches (so we can still have our playroom), is in the school district we want, and $25,000 cheaper.

I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up!

Quoting hip2it: Good luck! I'm always looking for new real estate, but I haven't found a deal good enough to make me sell.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:48 PM
This one was a 4,000 Sq ft foreclosure I stumbled across in my desired district for less than half it was worth. I lowballed the offer and the bank accepted. Absolutely no problems with the house, we practically stole it. It was 4 beds but had 2 game rooms and we converted 1 into 2 bedrooms, since im about to have our 5th child. There's no yard though. If I put a swings in the back they'd hit the house and the fence. So I'm always looking, just in case something like that comes up again.

Quoting bananas2u: Both of these are great.

One is 4 bedroom (which is what we prefer), 2 bath but it's not in our preference school district. It misses it by 2 streets. Also comes with a playground set in the backyard.

The other is only 3 bedroom, with 3 full baths, 2 enclosed porches (so we can still have our playroom), is in the school district we want, and $25,000 cheaper.

Quoting hip2it: Good luck! I'm always looking for new real estate, but I haven't found a deal good enough to make me sell.
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:12 PM
That's awesome. If we could get preapproved for a loan, I would definitely look for something like that. We've seen a few really awesome deals, but without a loan, we couldn't get them. It sucked. Stupid student loans. :/

Quoting hip2it: This one was a 4,000 Sq ft foreclosure I stumbled across in my desired district for less than half it was worth. I lowballed the offer and the bank accepted. Absolutely no problems with the house, we practically stole it. It was 4 beds but had 2 game rooms and we converted 1 into 2 bedrooms, since im about to have our 5th child. There's no yard though. If I put a swings in the back they'd hit the house and the fence. So I'm always looking, just in case something like that comes up again.

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:17 PM
We don't have any student loans, but I've heard horror stories. My cousin used them 13 years ago and is still paying. She said maybe in 5 years she will be done. That's crazy. I didn't finance my house for 18 years! But I guess the interest rates are ridiculous? Dh went to college but paid as he went.

Quoting bananas2u: That's awesome. If we could get preapproved for a loan, I would definitely look for something like that. We've seen a few really awesome deals, but without a loan, we couldn't get them. It sucked. Stupid student loans. :/

Quoting hip2it: This one was a 4,000 Sq ft foreclosure I stumbled across in my desired district for less than half it was worth. I lowballed the offer and the bank accepted. Absolutely no problems with the house, we practically stole it. It was 4 beds but had 2 game rooms and we converted 1 into 2 bedrooms, since im about to have our 5th child. There's no yard though. If I put a swings in the back they'd hit the house and the fence. So I'm always looking, just in case something like that comes up again.

bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:14 PM
Yeah, interest is very crazy. And I didnt even finish (I swear that's the worst part). I was going to be a high school math teacher and when I was pregnant with ds, I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do. I wanted a job I could come home from and completely forget about (plus, he took every bit of my math skills away). And nothing else has sparked an interest enough to start going back. I've been toying with a couple things in my head, but really not sure any are my life long dream.

Quoting hip2it: We don't have any student loans, but I've heard horror stories. My cousin used them 13 years ago and is still paying. She said maybe in 5 years she will be done. That's crazy. I didn't finance my house for 18 years! But I guess the interest rates are ridiculous? Dh went to college but paid as he went.

Quoting bananas2u: That's awesome. If we could get preapproved for a loan, I would definitely look for something like that. We've seen a few really awesome deals, but without a loan, we couldn't get them. It sucked. Stupid student loans. :/

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 3:10 AM
1 mom liked this
If I were to go back to school, I'd be an internationally board certified lactation consultant. There just aren't many here. But, I'll never have the time. My kids are 2, 7, 10, and 12, so I'm pretty busy being at their beck and call until they're all grown. I thought with 3 in school I'd have more time on my hands, but I don't. I'm oddly okay with that.

Quoting bananas2u: Yeah, interest is very crazy. And I didnt even finish (I swear that's the worst part). I was going to be a high school math teacher and when I was pregnant with ds, I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do. I wanted a job I could come home from and completely forget about (plus, he took every bit of my math skills away). And nothing else has sparked an interest enough to start going back. I've been toying with a couple things in my head, but really not sure any are my life long dream.

Quoting hip2it: We don't have any student loans, but I've heard horror stories. My cousin used them 13 years ago and is still paying. She said maybe in 5 years she will be done. That's crazy. I didn't finance my house for 18 years! But I guess the interest rates are ridiculous? Dh went to college but paid as he went.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)