Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3hr Glucose Test **UPDATED**

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

I did the 3 hr glucose test this morning. I do not know yet if I passed or failed, but I am worried because it was unexpectedly awful. (Stabbing me 4 times for blood, the vampires!! Oh, and a horrible headache in addition.)

When it was over, I went home to pick up my husband to go out to lunch (I only live 10-15 mins from the lab). We stopped to put air in my tires and all of a sudden I started sweating profusely (only maybe 40F ouside), felt woozy, and got very weak. Had to hand over the keys to DH to drive and thought I was going to fall down trying to get into the car. I had to hang on to his arm to walk into the restaurant. Once I had something to eat and drink, I felt much better, but I worry because I don't know if suddenly feeling so horrible was from the fasting or from how my body was processing the sugars from the test.

Anyone else run into this before?

**UPDATE**

I just found out that I passed!!  I am so relieved!  Thank you mamas for all the support!

by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CassaNova
by Cassie on Feb. 6, 2016 at 5:28 PM
Yea most likely because you (I'm assuming) hadn't had anything to eat yet. After fasting and then drinking only that sugary drink I also did not feel good until I ate something. Had a headache and the sweats like that.
marilyn623
by Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 6:07 PM
I felt like that after my one hr.
Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM
Those are typical symptoms from fasting when doing the 3hr and then overloading your system with a large amount of sugar.
lmp824
by Laura on Feb. 7, 2016 at 7:50 AM
Yes I had to do the 3 hour and I ate immediately afterwards. I was starving! I went to Arby's and as soon as I took a few bites of my sandwich I felt better. My body was in dire need of protein. Luckily I passed my test. I only failed my 1 hour way 2 points so I was hopeful that I would pass.
hiraeth
by Megan on Feb. 7, 2016 at 8:53 AM
It was awful and scary. I don't know what I'd have done if I'd been alone when it came on!

Quoting CassaNova: Yea most likely because you (I'm assuming) hadn't had anything to eat yet. After fasting and then drinking only that sugary drink I also did not feel good until I ate something. Had a headache and the sweats like that.
hiraeth
by Megan on Feb. 7, 2016 at 8:55 AM
Glad you passed! I've got my fingers crossed! They told me if it was bad news the lab will call me, and for good news I will just find out at my appt Wednesday.

Quoting lmp824: Yes I had to do the 3 hour and I ate immediately afterwards. I was starving! I went to Arby's and as soon as I took a few bites of my sandwich I felt better. My body was in dire need of protein. Luckily I passed my test. I only failed my 1 hour way 2 points so I was hopeful that I would pass.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Feb. 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM
This is exactly why my husband is bringing me. I don't do well with not eating in general, never mind while pregnant. I have almost passed out from not eating frequently enough while pregnant. I am not looking forward to this test at all.
I am really annoyed I have to do it. They should have us fast for the one hour. That glucose drink is enough sugar to see how we process it, I had a small breakfast and it still put me at 138 which is 'too high' although all my research says under 140 is acceptable. Part of me wants to just decline it but I know it's best to just be sure.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope you pass the three hour!
SamKSanders
by Samantha on Feb. 8, 2016 at 1:38 PM
Oh yeah, the fasting combined with how much sugar you drank definitely did that to you. That's why my doctor always recommended being something to snack on right after. Sorry mama! That's a terrible feeling. Happened with my first pregnancy after just the 1hr test.
meghs82285
by Meghan on Feb. 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM
Any word on how it went? I have to call and make an appointment at the hospitals lab for my 3 hour. I should get on that right now actually...
hiraeth
by Megan on Feb. 9, 2016 at 1:46 PM

They told me if it was bad news the lab will call me, and for good news I will just find out at my appt Wednesday.  I am hoping that my bad reaction to fasting means that by body processed the Glucola like it was supposed to.  And they haven't called yet and it has been since Saturday!

Definitely take a snack with you to eat as soon as they are all done with the testing!  Good luck!

Quoting meghs82285: Any word on how it went? I have to call and make an appointment at the hospitals lab for my 3 hour. I should get on that right now actually...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)