Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Friday Bump post 3/11/2016

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM
  • 47 Replies

Can you believe many of us are 3-7 weeks from our due dates, and many of us are nearly "Term" already?

How do you feel about being able to go into labor at any moment?

Do you have your birth plan written? (Care to share it?)

Do you have your bags packed? (What did you pack?)

Are you getting excited?

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:47 AM
4 moms liked this

I think 3-4 weeks and going into labor would be about perfect. I for the first time last night had the most miserable time getting comfortable and falling asleep! That was a first when it came to a comfy position.

I'm starting to get nervous about labor, especially since my midwife totally bailed on me and now i'm having to start over from scratch.

I do have my birth plan written. (I'll share at bottom of my post since it's long)

I packed my labor bag and after-birth bag. My after-birth bag has some protein bars, comfy clothes for following labor with nursing bras, new panties, new socks, some breast pads, and my cosmetic bag with toiletries.

My labor bag will consist of clothes for labor (I changed my clothes 3-4x during my homebirth because I was in and out of water, and then when my water broke.... I got my clothes messy.) So I packed a few easy access items, and a couple changes of clothes for this reason. (including boy shorts, so I could put a pad in it for my water until I'm pushing.)

I still need to do my cameras and stuff... but other than that, the bags are pretty much ready to go.

I would be more excited if I felt like I could trust everything to turn out well at this point. :(

Birth Plan for labor.  Plan is natural labor, as unassisted as possible.

HANDS OFF #1 rule please - I would prefer to be left alone as much as possible unless part of my chosen birth team/attendants.

It's not my first baby, I will communicate with you, but I find it stressful when people are touching me without asking or getting in my personal space unless invited in.

No IV unless it's a medical emergency, then you can put it in. (It's safest to put it in when needed, rather than ahead of time, my veins often collapse. I would rather not be poked twice because of this.)

No IV fluids - or medicines unless a medical emergency arises.

Limited monitoring, Even as a vBAC. I need to be free to move around as much as possible.

Need to be able to eat/drink unless medically indicated otherwise.

Labor in water, this is my preferred pain medication. No offer of pain meds.  Anyone who offers, will be excused from my room. J If I ask for pain meds, please remind me I don't want them if possible.

Only want to be checked when I feel the urge to push. (To make sure I'm fully dilated if needed.) I have a history of not having dilation changes, until right before the babies about to come out, so this is not a good indicator on my labor progression. Watch my body language, and changes during labor - this is a better indicator of progression, and you can always ask my husband to detail changes for you.

No lying flat on my back. I want the option of birth in whatever position I want, including standing up, or on my hands and knees. (I'll bring my own Yoga ball unless you can provide one.)

Prefer if water bag is left alone if possible. It will break on its own.

Please trust me to communicate with you, I will speak up if something doesn't feel right.

I probably will get naked when the pushing phase comes. I do not like clothes touching me, so please don't comment if I need to be naked during labor. I will wear my own clothes during/after labor unless medically unable.

When I feel the urge to push, baby (should) is going to come out fast, so be prepared to move quickly if you don't want us to deliver by ourselves.

Delivery Plan

n  Do not tell me when to push unless something is wrong. I listen to my body and follow my instincts. My babies usually come out fast once I get to this stage.

n  No episiotomy. Natural tearing only - Please use glue to repair if possible.

n  No forceps or vacuum unless medical emergency arises.

n  Would like to catch the baby ourselves, and cut the cord if possible.

n  Delayed cord cutting. Wait until placenta is delivered unless medically indicated otherwise.

n  Baby chest to chest right at birth. Will nurse as soon as baby wants.

n  Do not touch or tug on placenta, let it come out naturally.

n  Pitocin shot allowed after birth if needed, and uterine massage if indicated. (otherwise, hands off please and let baby and nursing do their work!)

n  My daughter wants to be here for the birth/delivery, so she's allowed to stay as long as nothing medically is wrong. IF she wants to leave the room, we'll have a member of birth team remove her.

n  Leave baby alone on my chest until we are both ready to be cleaned up. You can do monitoring/vitals while babies on my chest. (I understand if baby is not stable, this can change.)

n  Please put a small towel under baby's bottom. (My last baby pooped on me.) while on chest. Or a diaper, whatever's faster. ;)

n  My husband/daughter/or I would prefer to help clean the baby up.

Emergency C-section -

Baby skin to skin if possible, either me, or husband.  Allow me to nurse while you close if possible and I'd like my arms free, and the ability to know what's going on so I don't feel so scared.

No bottles Or pacifiers. No sugar water.

No ketamine. If I'm responding poorly, knock me out lightly until it's over. Baby stays with dad at all times until I am awake if this happens, NO FORMULA OR BOTTLES.

Please communicate what's going on, and do a low transverse cut, with double stitching to repair so future pregnancies will be safer.

I prefer staples on the outside if possible.

I will need anti-inflammatory along with some pain killers for recovery. I prefer the anti-inflammatory for longer use while healing. (it reduces pain levels and minimizes how much narcotics are needed.)

A belly band would be appreciated if you have them.

I want to get up right away, so I will be asking for my IV removed as soon as I can sit up. I will also be getting up to pee as soon as I can feel my legs. I'm not the type of person to lay in a bed.

AFTER BIRTH

Need Rhogam Shot for Mom.

Need hep B immuglobulin shot for baby, and hep B vaccine started.

NO EYE GOOP.

NO VITAMIN K (we have oral vitamin K we will use instead.)

NO NURSERY - Baby stays with parents at ALL times. If baby has to be removed, Mom Or Dad are required to go with. Please do not ask to remove baby, even as an offer of help.

No Pacifiers.

No bottles/formula. A sign on door would be appreciated so nurses know.

Mom will breastfeed on demand. -  Mom and one previous baby had lip/tongue ties. Check for ties before sending home. Would prefer to be clipped in hospital before we leave.

Will breastfeed for bilirubin levels, if needed blankets/lights are preferred if there's an issue. No sugar water/formula.

Tylonal and Ibphropen work for afterbirth as needed. I don't need narcotics for a routine vaginal delivery.

If stitches are required, please fully numb the area before you touch me with a needle/thread.

NICU Time, If something is needed:

Mom will nurse on demand - If not, please provide a pump and baby will only get breastmilk. Either via NG tube, or Syringe until baby can nurse. No bottles, or Pacifiers (Although mom may allow pacifier dipped in breastmilk for a nicu stay if baby can't nurse for a couple of days.)

No Sugar Water, No Formula, No bottles.

Please keep parents informed at all times at what's going on.  Parents would like to follow baby and be with baby if possible at all times during Nicu Stay (or as much as possible.)

mychinababy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I've had a long hard week. Contractions have been awful and they are wearing me out. I had prodomal labor with my last one too but not like this. I feel like I've been in labor for a week with absolutely no end in site. I finally decided to be checked yesterday because I was so uncomfortable and I'm still high and not dilated. I'll probably end up going overdue with this kid lol. They said I just need to slow down and rest more which would slow contractions but it's impossible with 4 kids at home and working in our center for 3-4 hours a day.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. I made my pictire blsck and white to try to hide how awful I look lol.
37 weeks or 37+5 depending on who you ask.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

34 weeks!

I'm pretty ready at this point. I need to finish packing hospital bags, I have a list and started packing them though.

I didn't write a birth plan. Hubby knows what I want and he's not shy with medical professionals so I think he can speak for me if I can't. But its pretty straightforward for me, labor as naturally as possible but if I ask for drugs give them to me (dh will try to assure me I don't need them and he will know when I actually do if I do). Delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin (our hospital does this anyway). No eye gunk or vaccines (I will sign consent or declination forms for everything when I get there). Babies all room in at our hospital, there is no regular nursery but there is a mini almost nicu if babies need it. Dh will stay with baby if for any reason they need baby out of the room. I will ask to be discharged as soon as I feel ready.

I think that's basically everything. I am super excited to meet this baby!! I am anxious about getting it out of me but I know my body knows what to do and as soon as I hold the baby it will all be worth it!

DD is feeling anxious and getting jealous already. She is 12.5 so understands her feelings but she has her fair share of issues (her mother left when she was 6 so she has some definite abandonment issues and fears this baby is a replacement...we talk about this sometimes and reassure her as much as possible). DS is pretty indifferent about it, he's 13.5 and has 4 siblings at his dads house so he knows a bit about it even though he doesn't visit their house often..so this will still be different but he gets it.

I think they are both a little excited to be big siblings and to see what our family will look like now. They are both great kids and will be an awesome help to me while I'm recovering and adjusting!

DH is also nervous about our family dynamic changing but I catch his excitement now and then ;). He's going to be amazing for me and this baby, I can't wait to see him be a daddy to this baby!
hiraeth
by Megan on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Your bump is so stinkin' cute!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Mobile Photo

34 weeks! I'm pretty ready at this point. I need to finish packing hospital bags, I have a list and started packing them though. I didn't write a birth plan. Hubby knows what I want and he's not shy with medical professionals so I think he can speak for me if I can't. But its pretty straightforward for me, labor as naturally as possible but if I ask for drugs give them to me (dh will try to assure me I don't need them and he will know when I actually do if I do). Delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin (our hospital does this anyway). No eye gunk or vaccines (I will sign consent or declination forms for everything when I get there). Babies all room in at our hospital, there is no regular nursery but there is a mini almost nicu if babies need it. Dh will stay with baby if for any reason they need baby out of the room. I will ask to be discharged as soon as I feel ready. I think that's basically everything. I am super excited to meet this baby!! I am anxious about getting it out of me but I know my body knows what to do and as soon as I hold the baby it will all be worth it! DD is feeling anxious and getting jealous already. She is 12.5 so understands her feelings but she has her fair share of issues (her mother left when she was 6 so she has some definite abandonment issues and fears this baby is a replacement...we talk about this sometimes and reassure her as much as possible). DS is pretty indifferent about it, he's 13.5 and has 4 siblings at his dads house so he knows a bit about it even though he doesn't visit their house often..so this will still be different but he gets it. I think they are both a little excited to be big siblings and to see what our family will look like now. They are both great kids and will be an awesome help to me while I'm recovering and adjusting! DH is also nervous about our family dynamic changing but I catch his excitement now and then ;). He's going to be amazing for me and this baby, I can't wait to see him be a daddy to this baby!

Tay06
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:43 AM
Your bump is growing! I'm sorry again about the midwife/dr situation. I hope you end up with the birth you want. I know how important it is to have a birth you are happy with. Keep us updated ok? Sounds like you are ready to go though as far as your bag. I have to pack food and my makeup but the rest is in there along with my sons stuff :)

Quoting kajira:

I think 3-4 weeks and going into labor would be about perfect. I for the first time last night had the most miserable time getting comfortable and falling asleep! That was a first when it came to a comfy position.

I'm starting to get nervous about labor, especially since my midwife totally bailed on me and now i'm having to start over from scratch.

I do have my birth plan written. (I'll share at bottom of my post since it's long)

I packed my labor bag and after-birth bag. My after-birth bag has some protein bars, comfy clothes for following labor with nursing bras, new panties, new socks, some breast pads, and my cosmetic bag with toiletries.

My labor bag will consist of clothes for labor (I changed my clothes 3-4x during my homebirth because I was in and out of water, and then when my water broke.... I got my clothes messy.) So I packed a few easy access items, and a couple changes of clothes for this reason. (including boy shorts, so I could put a pad in it for my water until I'm pushing.)

I still need to do my cameras and stuff... but other than that, the bags are pretty much ready to go.

I would be more excited if I felt like I could trust everything to turn out well at this point. :(

Birth Plan for labor.  Plan is natural labor, as unassisted as possible.

HANDS OFF #1 rule please - I would prefer to be left alone as much as possible unless part of my chosen birth team/attendants.

It's not my first baby, I will communicate with you, but I find it stressful when people are touching me without asking or getting in my personal space unless invited in.

No IV unless it's a medical emergency, then you can put it in. (It's safest to put it in when needed, rather than ahead of time, my veins often collapse. I would rather not be poked twice because of this.)

No IV fluids - or medicines unless a medical emergency arises.

Limited monitoring, Even as a vBAC. I need to be free to move around as much as possible.

Need to be able to eat/drink unless medically indicated otherwise.

Labor in water, this is my preferred pain medication. No offer of pain meds.  Anyone who offers, will be excused from my room. J If I ask for pain meds, please remind me I don't want them if possible.

Only want to be checked when I feel the urge to push. (To make sure I'm fully dilated if needed.) I have a history of not having dilation changes, until right before the babies about to come out, so this is not a good indicator on my labor progression. Watch my body language, and changes during labor - this is a better indicator of progression, and you can always ask my husband to detail changes for you.

No lying flat on my back. I want the option of birth in whatever position I want, including standing up, or on my hands and knees. (I'll bring my own Yoga ball unless you can provide one.)

Prefer if water bag is left alone if possible. It will break on its own.

Please trust me to communicate with you, I will speak up if something doesn't feel right.

I probably will get naked when the pushing phase comes. I do not like clothes touching me, so please don't comment if I need to be naked during labor. I will wear my own clothes during/after labor unless medically unable.

When I feel the urge to push, baby (should) is going to come out fast, so be prepared to move quickly if you don't want us to deliver by ourselves.

Delivery Plan

n  Do not tell me when to push unless something is wrong. I listen to my body and follow my instincts. My babies usually come out fast once I get to this stage.

n  No episiotomy. Natural tearing only - Please use glue to repair if possible.

n  No forceps or vacuum unless medical emergency arises.

n  Would like to catch the baby ourselves, and cut the cord if possible.

n  Delayed cord cutting. Wait until placenta is delivered unless medically indicated otherwise.

n  Baby chest to chest right at birth. Will nurse as soon as baby wants.

n  Do not touch or tug on placenta, let it come out naturally.

n  Pitocin shot allowed after birth if needed, and uterine massage if indicated. (otherwise, hands off please and let baby and nursing do their work!)

n  My daughter wants to be here for the birth/delivery, so she's allowed to stay as long as nothing medically is wrong. IF she wants to leave the room, we'll have a member of birth team remove her.

n  Leave baby alone on my chest until we are both ready to be cleaned up. You can do monitoring/vitals while babies on my chest. (I understand if baby is not stable, this can change.)

n  Please put a small towel under baby's bottom. (My last baby pooped on me.) while on chest. Or a diaper, whatever's faster. ;)

n  My husband/daughter/or I would prefer to help clean the baby up.

Emergency C-section -

Baby skin to skin if possible, either me, or husband.  Allow me to nurse while you close if possible and I'd like my arms free, and the ability to know what's going on so I don't feel so scared.

No bottles Or pacifiers. No sugar water.

No ketamine. If I'm responding poorly, knock me out lightly until it's over. Baby stays with dad at all times until I am awake if this happens, NO FORMULA OR BOTTLES.

Please communicate what's going on, and do a low transverse cut, with double stitching to repair so future pregnancies will be safer.

I prefer staples on the outside if possible.

I will need anti-inflammatory along with some pain killers for recovery. I prefer the anti-inflammatory for longer use while healing. (it reduces pain levels and minimizes how much narcotics are needed.)

A belly band would be appreciated if you have them.

I want to get up right away, so I will be asking for my IV removed as soon as I can sit up. I will also be getting up to pee as soon as I can feel my legs. I'm not the type of person to lay in a bed.

AFTER BIRTH

Need Rhogam Shot for Mom.

Need hep B immuglobulin shot for baby, and hep B vaccine started.

NO EYE GOOP.

NO VITAMIN K (we have oral vitamin K we will use instead.)

NO NURSERY - Baby stays with parents at ALL times. If baby has to be removed, Mom Or Dad are required to go with. Please do not ask to remove baby, even as an offer of help.

No Pacifiers.

No bottles/formula. A sign on door would be appreciated so nurses know.

Mom will breastfeed on demand. -  Mom and one previous baby had lip/tongue ties. Check for ties before sending home. Would prefer to be clipped in hospital before we leave.

Will breastfeed for bilirubin levels, if needed blankets/lights are preferred if there's an issue. No sugar water/formula.

Tylonal and Ibphropen work for afterbirth as needed. I don't need narcotics for a routine vaginal delivery.

If stitches are required, please fully numb the area before you touch me with a needle/thread.

NICU Time, If something is needed:

Mom will nurse on demand - If not, please provide a pump and baby will only get breastmilk. Either via NG tube, or Syringe until baby can nurse. No bottles, or Pacifiers (Although mom may allow pacifier dipped in breastmilk for a nicu stay if baby can't nurse for a couple of days.)

No Sugar Water, No Formula, No bottles.

Please keep parents informed at all times at what's going on.  Parents would like to follow baby and be with baby if possible at all times during Nicu Stay (or as much as possible.)

Tay06
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:48 AM
I'm sorry you are not dilating but I hope you do soon! You look beautiful! I'm sorry you don't feel good though and I'll keep you in my thoughts. I hope we both go into labor soon!

Quoting mychinababy:

Mobile Photo

I've had a long hard week. Contractions have been awful and they are wearing me out. I had prodomal labor with my last one too but not like this. I feel like I've been in labor for a week with absolutely no end in site. I finally decided to be checked yesterday because I was so uncomfortable and I'm still high and not dilated. I'll probably end up going overdue with this kid lol. They said I just need to slow down and rest more which would slow contractions but it's impossible with 4 kids at home and working in our center for 3-4 hours a day.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. I made my pictire blsck and white to try to hide how awful I look lol.
Tay06
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:52 AM
You sound so prepared! I'm sorry your daughter is nervous but I bet she will be okay after the baby is born and she sees she's not being replaced. My son just wants this baby out of me so I can run around again. Congrats on 34 weeks!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Mobile Photo

34 weeks!

I'm pretty ready at this point. I need to finish packing hospital bags, I have a list and started packing them though.

I didn't write a birth plan. Hubby knows what I want and he's not shy with medical professionals so I think he can speak for me if I can't. But its pretty straightforward for me, labor as naturally as possible but if I ask for drugs give them to me (dh will try to assure me I don't need them and he will know when I actually do if I do). Delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin (our hospital does this anyway). No eye gunk or vaccines (I will sign consent or declination forms for everything when I get there). Babies all room in at our hospital, there is no regular nursery but there is a mini almost nicu if babies need it. Dh will stay with baby if for any reason they need baby out of the room. I will ask to be discharged as soon as I feel ready.

I think that's basically everything. I am super excited to meet this baby!! I am anxious about getting it out of me but I know my body knows what to do and as soon as I hold the baby it will all be worth it!

DD is feeling anxious and getting jealous already. She is 12.5 so understands her feelings but she has her fair share of issues (her mother left when she was 6 so she has some definite abandonment issues and fears this baby is a replacement...we talk about this sometimes and reassure her as much as possible). DS is pretty indifferent about it, he's 13.5 and has 4 siblings at his dads house so he knows a bit about it even though he doesn't visit their house often..so this will still be different but he gets it.

I think they are both a little excited to be big siblings and to see what our family will look like now. They are both great kids and will be an awesome help to me while I'm recovering and adjusting!

DH is also nervous about our family dynamic changing but I catch his excitement now and then ;). He's going to be amazing for me and this baby, I can't wait to see him be a daddy to this baby!
luckyinlife
by Christina on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM
I have been taking Epson salt baths every night to help with contractions and pressure. I swear it feels like this baby's head is actively engaged and ready to come out. I am only 35+3 right now though. My cervix is very high too so no action there yet. Anyway, try the baths it helps.

Quoting mychinababy:

Mobile Photo

Tay06
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

36 weeks and 3 days :) found out yesterday the baby is no longer breech (and hopefully she stays that way) and in the last week I went from nothing to dilated to 2 cms and 50 percent effaced! I was dilated to 3 cms 3 days before my son was born so I really hope she wiggles her way out in the next few days! I have my bag packed except for food and make up and my sons big brother bag is packed. SO packed his bag last night when he got home. He's officially in stare and me and wait for me to go into labor mode. My birth plan is simple: no drugs, no episiotomy, no interventions, let her come out as naturally as possible. Just like her brother ;) this time I will be trying to breastfeed, have immediate skin to skin and delayed cord clamping though. I'm both excited and nervous and a little sad because this is my last baby buy in also relieved this is my last pregnancy. I'm ready to be up and going again!

Quoting kajira:

Can you believe many of us are 3-7 weeks from our due dates, and many of us are nearly "Term" already?

Are you getting excited?

BoogaBooBaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

36 weeks with 3 weeks to go. Hopefully will go into labor before that time comes but it's really whenever baby is ready to come. The thought that I could go into labor any moment excites yet scares me. I have my kids bag packed but have yet to pack mine.. I am hoping to do that this weekend.

Quoting kajira:

Are you getting excited?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)