Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm dilating already - and midwife apt update.

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

34 weeks, got checked today, I had been feeling stinging sensations, long runs of contractions, and chunks of my mucus plug, so I wanted to verify the feelings I was having, was associated with what I thought it was.

dilation. I am, and I am having contractions that ARE progressing me, it's just going slow right now.

Baby is about -2 station right now, but midwife said she could feel her head and when she pushed on her, she didn't unengage from my pelvis or move up, so it looks like she's there to stay.

I'm 2-3cm dilated, and 60% effaced.

I'm still having a lot of contractions, and she wants me to use my progesterone shot today, and one more next week before stopping, just to try to make sure I make it to 36 weeks.

She said a lot of times women go into labor with in a week or two of stopping progesterone, and since i'm already dilating while still on it, and baby's head down and applying pressure.... with my history of fast labors... she's not entirely sure i'll make my due-date.

The midwife is fine with everything on my birth plan, even down to my daughter helping assist the delivery, video taping, and basically being hands off, and not touching anything. As long as I can agree to leave the monitors on and I can't go in water.... but if I can agree to stay out of the shower, and leave the monitors on, they'll do their best to set up labor stations with yoga malls, mats, massage stuff, and anything else to help with labor and keep me moving to help it go faster and distract me with out using water.... and won't require I ever sit in the bed, even for the delivery. I can push how I want, hold the baby how I want, deliver the placenta entirely before clamping the cord, etc.... so I can probably live with that compromise.

they have a near 100% breastfeeding success rate in their nicu, and less then a 10% c-section rate for their entire hospital, not just the midwife floor.

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM
That sounds like a good compromise. How close is this hospital?
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:16 PM

3 hours. She told me if I had the baby before I could get there, to just keep baby skin to skin, keep a bowl handy for the placenta, use my emergency equipment/birth kit, and finish the drive up there.  As long as baby and I are stable, I don't have to go to the local ER and get subpar treatment.

(i.e. babies breathing, and I'm not bleeding heavily.)

Quoting TJandKarasMom: That sounds like a good compromise. How close is this hospital?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM
That sounds like a good plan and great that she was supportive of almost everything you want anyway.

Quoting kajira:

3 hours. She told me if I had the baby before I could get there, to just keep baby skin to skin, keep a bowl handy for the placenta, use my emergency equipment/birth kit, and finish the drive up there.  As long as baby and I are stable, I don't have to go to the local ER and get subpar treatment.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: That sounds like a good compromise. How close is this hospital?

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Yeah, I think i'min prodomal labor, but I know it can last weeks, so I just have to figure out when it flips to active labor so I have time to get my ass up there.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: That sounds like a good plan and great that she was supportive of almost everything you want anyway.
Quoting kajira:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:40 PM
I finally looked up prodomal labor because a few people in this group have mentioned it now and I had never heard of it!
Hopefully you know when its real so you can head there and hopefully the 3 hours is long enough to make it..and then you can go quickly once there so you won't need to worry about wanting the water for pain relief!

Quoting kajira:

Yeah, I think i'min prodomal labor, but I know it can last weeks, so I just have to figure out when it flips to active labor so I have time to get my ass up there.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: That sounds like a good plan and great that she was supportive of almost everything you want anyway.

Quoting kajira:

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM

I can't rely on feeing contractions to tell me if i'm in labor. I slept through my entire labor with my twins. I woke up 10cm dilated. 

They told me if i could sleep through it, it wasn't real. O.o

With ym daughter, I kept waiting for something to "click" that I was in active labor, until my water broke and she was flying out less then an hour later, I wasn't sure I was in labor, and neither were my birth attendants because I wasn't having timable contractions, or any obvious labor pains. :/

I'm kind freaking out tha ti'm trying to figure out when it's real! LOL

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I finally looked up prodomal labor because a few people in this group have mentioned it now and I had never heard of it! Hopefully you know when its real so you can head there and hopefully the 3 hours is long enough to make it..and then you can go quickly once there so you won't need to worry about wanting the water for pain relief!
Quoting kajira:

Quoting kajira:

mammabear413
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad things went great. So hopefully little miss stays in till you get there. Or no complications and you can get there after.
Tay06
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I like that place! I want to have my baby there!
Mamaofblessings
by Rachel on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:45 AM

I know a girl who walked around at a 3 at 30 weeks, 5 at 35 weeks and 7 at 40 weeks and still didnt have her baby til 41 weeks....i also have walked around 3cm dilated for almost 5 weeks and still didnt have that one til 40 weeks. Have they given you a staroid shot yet? Good luck

kajira
by Emma on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM

If I hadn't delivered at 24 weeks in a prior pregnancy, I wouldn't think twice about going to term.

I was 4-5 cm dilated at 34-36 weeks with my daughter, she came at 39 1/2 weeks.

difference was, she was breech and not pressing on my cervix. What i'm feeling now? Doesn't feel at all like it did with her. Menstral cramps, pelvis pressure, the kind of pain that makes me feel kind of sick because theres so much pressure down there... I can't really explain it.

I'm on a crap ton of progesterone, and still dilating. generally, with my daughter, I didn't FEEL my dilation or pain or any of this. I lost my mucus plug in chunks (maybe not all of it, just long, gooey strings) felt the stinging sensations I associated with dilation (had her check me) and i was 2-3cm 60% effaced - since then, the contractions have come and gone, and the pressure and menstraul type cramps in my lower back and pelvis have been worse.

Pregnancy #4 and I can tell you, I've never experienced anything like this in my other pregnancies, with or with out dilation.

If I get to 5cm, I'm having them break my damn water. LOL my midwife is 3 hours away, I'm not risking delivering in the car if I dilate like I did with my daughter and walk around that dilated, I wouldn't make it if I went into labor.

Quoting Mamaofblessings:

I know a girl who walked around at a 3 at 30 weeks, 5 at 35 weeks and 7 at 40 weeks and still didnt have her baby til 41 weeks....i also have walked around 3cm dilated for almost 5 weeks and still didnt have that one til 40 weeks. Have they given you a staroid shot yet? Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)