Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pitocin after delivery...

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
I didn't even know they did this, my friend just mentioned it the other day so I started looking into it.

I don't think I had it with my first (almost 14 years ago). But I bled quite a bit and ended up passing out at one point a couple hours after he was born.

I've heard horrible things about pitocin to induce labor. But nothing about it after delivery.

Have you had it? Will you have it? Do you have any info/pros and cons about it?
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:20 PM

The benefit to pitocin after delivery as a one time shot  it helps your uterus contract to stop bleeding. It can be a very useful tool that way. 

Pitocin during labor, can make your uterus tired, and do the opposite of contracting. Pitocin if used after a natural labor, can help it contract.  If you breastfeed directly after the birth, it should do the same thing as pitocin. Pitocin shouldn't be a mandetory thing given, and only given if you seem like you're not contracting fast enough after labor or if the bleeding is slightly heavier then should be.

Uterine massage is the same thing. It's in my birth plan for both of those to only be done IF I seem like my body's not contracting properly on it's own.

Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Ive had it after two out of three csections. After my first I had to go back into surgery due to bleeding. We found out during my second pregnancy I have a blood disorder that causes me to bleed easily and a lot, I though duh I have cronic nasty nose bleds lol so I have to have it after birth to help stop bleeding and it seems to work.
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:16 PM
How are you doing? How's the baby

Quoting Nicolle_09: Ive had it after two out of three csections. After my first I had to go back into surgery due to bleeding. We found out during my second pregnancy I have a blood disorder that causes me to bleed easily and a lot, I though duh I have cronic nasty nose bleds lol so I have to have it after birth to help stop bleeding and it seems to work.
luckyinlife
by Christina on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:50 PM
Its like anything, when medically needed its a good thing. If you are worried about blood loss chloroxygen will help build up your red blood cells and just make sure you are eating well and drink lots of water. If you have a doula or midwife ask about massaging your uterus after birth.
meghs82285
by Meghan on Mar. 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM
I know I had it after my last two, it's possible I've had it with all 3 and I just didn't realize it, I was really out of it with my first. I tend to bleed heavily afterwards.
strawberryLVR
by Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:12 PM

They do it but it's just putting drugs in your system for no reason. Breastfeeding baby does the EXACT same thing. Only get it if you are bleeding abnormally bad.  There is just no need unles there is an emergency like you had before.

Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 3:30 AM
2 moms liked this
We are both good. I will update sometime tomorrow after my post op appointment. Little man is now over 6 lbs but has been off and on oxygen due to having destats when he sleeps for the last week or so, so his NICU stay is still on going with the hopes of going home sometime this week.

Quoting kajira: How are you doing? How's the baby

Quoting Nicolle_09: Ive had it after two out of three csections. After my first I had to go back into surgery due to bleeding. We found out during my second pregnancy I have a blood disorder that causes me to bleed easily and a lot, I though duh I have cronic nasty nose bleds lol so I have to have it after birth to help stop bleeding and it seems to work.
Tay06
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know this was a thing but it's good to know :)

Mamaofblessings
by Rachel on Mar. 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Breastfeeding should help but when you have had 5 or more, your uterous is slower in contracting and closing after the baby is born. It is described to me as if you had twins and its stretched you are more likely to have more bleeding as it trys to close but since its at a slower rate, you bleed out a bit more....my midwife carrys pitocin with her and told me she will give some to me if i would need it but only then. I have baby to my breast wvery time but still have it given to me because i bleed a little more. Pitocin gives you an extra boost to get it to clamp faster and loose less blood...its when its given durring labor that it can stress the baby out causing csection

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM
I know I don't want it during or to induce labor. But with the history of passing out from blood loss, I don't think its a bad idea for me to accept it after delivery.

Quoting Mamaofblessings:

Breastfeeding should help but when you have had 5 or more, your uterous is slower in contracting and closing after the baby is born. It is described to me as if you had twins and its stretched you are more likely to have more bleeding as it trys to close but since its at a slower rate, you bleed out a bit more....my midwife carrys pitocin with her and told me she will give some to me if i would need it but only then. I have baby to my breast wvery time but still have it given to me because i bleed a little more. Pitocin gives you an extra boost to get it to clamp faster and loose less blood...its when its given durring labor that it can stress the baby out causing csection

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)