Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

maternity leave!

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:45 PM
  • 14 Replies
I work very part time-10 hrs one week, 15 the next, 3 hours a day except 5 every other Saturday. I have Wednesdays and Sundays off always.

My original plan was to only take 4 weeks off, then come back at just 2 hours a day so I'd be gone less than 3.

I told them I want the full 12 weeks now! I am so excited to be able to take that time. I may take longer lol. They said I may not get my 2 clients back but I will always have a job because my 'after school hours' are in high demand at my workplace(I am a therapist for kids with autism). And I think I will get my clients back if I push for them because they will want me back...but I may take 6 months. Or a couple years. Lol. I'm going to play it by ear.

How long are you taking? Or are you lucky enough to get to be a sahm already?
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I work from home part time and my husbands wants me to consider quitting what I do and working more for myself and marketing myself under my own name, instead og ghostwriting and only getting paid once per project.

I haven't decided yet. LOL

meghs82285
by Meghan on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:27 PM
I only work 2 days a week but 10 hour days. I already have people scheduling appointments with me for the end of May. I'm stressing out that I'll go late and then have to reschedule appointments and make people mad :( I love my customers and I don't want to lose them
SamKSanders
by Samantha on Mar. 14, 2016 at 12:27 AM
That's wonderful! 4 weeks will fly by so I'm glad you chose to take 12+ weeks. Yay!

I'm a lucky SAHM. Very, very lucky.
mychinababy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 7:24 AM
Wow that's great! I'm so happy for you! Sadly, 95% of our business is because of me so I can't be gone long. I'll take two weeks then slowly start back with an hour or two a day for the third week. I'm already not looking forward to leaving this little guy at home!
hiraeth
by Megan on Mar. 14, 2016 at 8:11 AM

I work full time, 40 hrs a week.  I have short term disability insurance which will cover about 40-45% of my pay while I am off, but just until the doctor releases me.  So I will only be off 6-8 weeks.  I wanted to take the full 12 weeks, but if I am getting zero pay that just won't work for our household.

If my job would allow me to work part time when I come back it would be PERFECT, but of course they will not.  I can't really switch jobs though, because I won't find anything that has the positives this job has.  It is Mon-Friday 7:30 to 4:30 and one weekend a month.  It doesn't have good health benefits and doesn't have retirement, but it has an hourly wage that is higher for this area (prob because of little benefits). Also, they are extremely flexible about doctor appointments and sick kids.  I would love to be a SAHM, but since that isn't possible in my case then this isn't a job I can afford to let go. 

Thinking about having to leave my baby to come back to work is hugely depressing to me, but I will do what I must to take care of my responsibilites and household... and then just cry at my desk. ;)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 14, 2016 at 10:56 AM
What do you do for work?

Will the customers really be mad you think? Could you schedule out an extra week just in case?

Quoting meghs82285: I only work 2 days a week but 10 hour days. I already have people scheduling appointments with me for the end of May. I'm stressing out that I'll go late and then have to reschedule appointments and make people mad :( I love my customers and I don't want to lose them
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 14, 2016 at 10:59 AM
I agree the 4 weeks will fly by! I thought it was what I wanted but I know I really want to be a sahm...but I do love my job and my work kids so its hard to let them go too. But I'm not very career oriented right now and my job is definitely more of a career. My clients get the best of me, but the professional development part doesn't get anything from me lol.

DH got a new job after Christmas and the pay increase is more than what I make... Sooo there is the possibility I can stay home for quite a while if I really want to. I'm just not sure how dh feels about that ;)

Quoting SamKSanders: That's wonderful! 4 weeks will fly by so I'm glad you chose to take 12+ weeks. Yay!

I'm a lucky SAHM. Very, very lucky.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 14, 2016 at 11:01 AM
I knew you were pretty involved in your business. Luckily you can go back slowly. Can you bring the baby with you at all? What do you do with all the kids while you're working?

Quoting mychinababy: Wow that's great! I'm so happy for you! Sadly, 95% of our business is because of me so I can't be gone long. I'll take two weeks then slowly start back with an hour or two a day for the third week. I'm already not looking forward to leaving this little guy at home!
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 14, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Originally 12 weeks was not an option for me at all. Dh got a new job right after Christmas and his pay increase was substantial (considering the was making what high school kids make before)...so I got lucky. I worked ft when my bug kids were little, and went to school ft...I missed so much and hated it. I cried at work often because I missed them.

There was a 3 year period that dh couldn't find work. That was the worst. He got to be home and hated it, I had to work and hated it. But I keep reminding him that he got 3 years off lol..that's not how he looks at it though.

You'll adjust OK. Its good that you have a decent paying job and can help support your family.

Quoting hiraeth:

I work full time, 40 hrs a week.  I have short term disability insurance which will cover about 40-45% of my pay while I am off, but just until the doctor releases me.  So I will only be off 6-8 weeks.  I wanted to take the full 12 weeks, but if I am getting zero pay that just won't work for our household.

If my job would allow me to work part time when I come back it would be PERFECT, but of course they will not.  I can't really switch jobs though, because I won't find anything that has the positives this job has.  It is Mon-Friday 7:30 to 4:30 and one weekend a month.  It doesn't have good health benefits and doesn't have retirement, but it has an hourly wage that is higher for this area (prob because of little benefits). Also, they are extremely flexible about doctor appointments and sick kids.  I would love to be a SAHM, but since that isn't possible in my case then this isn't a job I can afford to let go. 

Thinking about having to leave my baby to come back to work is hugely depressing to me, but I will do what I must to take care of my responsibilites and household... and then just cry at my desk. ;)

luckyinlife
by Christina on Mar. 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I am a SAHM but plan on finding part-time work after baby is 2 or 3 months old.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)