Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ultrasound Weight Estimates

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

How accurate/inaccurate are weight estimates from ultrasounds?

I had my appointment this afternoon for an ultrasound.  They finally declared c-section for sure. Fibroids are still there and a little larger.  Baby is an odd cross between frank breech and transverse, and generally isn't going anywhere.  They mentioned the chance that I may have placenta previa, but since it is so cramped inside they couldn't get any clear images to be sure.  I got no photos this ultrasound and didn't catch more than the briefest glimpse of baby's face because of postioning and how dark the scan was. Even though they declared c-section, I do not have a date yet.  They say they will work on scheduling it and let me know at my next appointment, 6 April.  I am so incredibly disappointed.

The reason I ask about the weight is from my appointment.  The ultrasound tech was laughing amusedly at what she percieves to be my big baby.  She said that baby is 7lbs 10oz right now, and with another two weeks or so till c-section, he might be a 9 pounder.  This disturbs me.  I mean, I can see how it is plausible given I look like the size of a house, but I thought that was more to do with the fact I wasn't thin before and now with the added size of the fibroids.

What have your experiences been with ultrasound weight estimates? 

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bailey1116
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 9:42 PM
They estimated my little guy to be 7 lbs at his 35 week ultrasound. I'm not taking it too seriously because the estimate for my first son was 2 lbs less than what he actually was. Good luck with your cesarean, almost there!
luckyinlife
by Christina on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:05 PM
I have never had one but here is a bump for you.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM
I've never heard of one being accurate. I don't know why they even bother. They are always 2 pounds off in either direction. 2 pounds is a lot when it comes to something that weighs only 6-9 lbs!
I haven't had one personally. But I've known lots of people that have and literally have never had someone say it was even close!
kajira
by Emma on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:18 PM

I've never had them be accurate for me. They always over- or under-estimate 

mychinababy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:31 PM
Never believed them too much. This time it was spot on though. At 36 weeks he measured 5 lbs 14 oz and at 37 weeks was born 6 lbs 5 ozs.
mychinababy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:34 PM
How should the recovery be with the fibroid surgery as well?
Are you nervous?
CassaNova
by Cassie on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:06 PM
Yea everyone I know who has been told a weight before birth it has been Wayyy off. Like everyone else is sayin 2 pounds either way. I wouldn't worry to much about it!

Good luck mama! Can't wait for us all to get a bit closer
SamKSanders
by Samantha on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:19 AM
Weight ultrasounds can be off by a couple pounds either direction. Happened to someone I know. They told her he was 7.5 lbs right before she had him... He was 10 lbs. But it can go the opposite way too. Or they might be right on with their measurements and guesses. So it's hard to know for sure.
Keep us posted on C-section date and what not. I'm so sorry about the c-section :-/
hiraeth
by Megan on Mar. 31, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Quoting mychinababy: How should the recovery be with the fibroid surgery as well? Are you nervous?

Whether or not he can remove the fibroids during the c-section depends on how embedded they are in the wall of the uterus.  It has to do with the increased volume of blood during pregnancy raising the risk of problems when they go to remove them.  If they are too well attached, I will have to have a second procedure after my hormones and blood flow goes back to normal.  Recovery for that is 2-3 weeks according to Google.  Time will tell!

I'm actually not nervous about the c-section or fibroids.  I just want my baby boy to be okay and then we can work out the rest later!  I think my anxiety right now is just stemming from not having a date/plan.

Tay06
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2016 at 12:57 AM
They said she was 5.5 lbs two weeks before she was born. She was 7.5 lbs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)