Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Super Engorged

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:52 PM
  • 19 Replies
And nothing I do is helping. I feed Jaxson and then try and empty whatever else is left but my breasts are still so engorged. Any ideas on what I can do? I made too much milk with my first son that I ended up with severe mastitis and I don't want that happening again. He eats every 2-4 hours right now.
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megs3721
by Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:04 AM
Are you pumping or hand expressing what's left?

Quoting SamKSanders: And nothing I do is helping. I feed Jaxson and then try and empty whatever else is left but my breasts are still so engorged. Any ideas on what I can do? I made too much milk with my first son that I ended up with severe mastitis and I don't want that happening again. He eats every 2-4 hours right now.
SamKSanders
by Samantha on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:49 AM
I'm not really supposed to pump because then my body thinks it needs to make that much milk every time. but I'll at least hand express some to get the relief until my body regulates how much it needs.

Quoting Megs3721: Are you pumping or hand expressing what's left?

Quoting SamKSanders: And nothing I do is helping. I feed Jaxson and then try and empty whatever else is left but my breasts are still so engorged. Any ideas on what I can do? I made too much milk with my first son that I ended up with severe mastitis and I don't want that happening again. He eats every 2-4 hours right now.
Megs3721
by Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 1:02 AM
Yes. Be sure not to pump but only hand express so your milk supply doesn't increase even more. Have you tried warm and cold compress? (Warm before nursing and cold afterward.)

Quoting SamKSanders: I'm not really supposed to pump because then my body thinks it needs to make that much milk every time. but I'll at least hand express some to get the relief until my body regulates how much it needs.

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 9, 2016 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

hand express JUST enough to take the edge off. The more you pump the more you'll make. (my milks'c oming in now and I plan on pumping for my toddler, so an over supply isn't a bad thing.) If you pump, you could also donate it to other moms if you don't mind pumping every day until Jaxon catches up to your supply.

Ice packs, don't over-do the expression or you'll just make more milk and increase supply.

Mamaofblessings
by Rachel on Apr. 9, 2016 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Pump off only the extra to keep the pain down, your milk is regulating....mastitis is not fun. If you leave it, it can form clogs and the best way to cure that and start of mastitis without meds is a vibrator while expressing....believe it or not it works. I had mastitis when i was expressing over 100oz a day(donated over 14,000 oz in 6months to nicus). Eat pepermint and hot showers while massaging the extra out. Ive done it before where i just squeese the cleavage and around the boob, if it came out that way, it would not express too much but just the extra and it will at least take out enough to avoid clots. Sunflower lanchen (i think its called) will also help kind of help with any clotting of milk that jellyfys it(if that make sence) when the fat holds together

kajira
by Emma on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

This may also gross some people out, but it was a life saver for me - when I was pumping for 5 1/2 months for my nicu baby, the pump just wasn't doing a good enough job to prevent clogged ducts.

When I'd get it bad enough to hurt, my husband would help massage, and if he couldn't massage it out, he'd help suck it out to fix the clog. It was the only thing that actually worked since I didn't have a baby there to do the job.

It's one of the only reasons I was able to pump for so long, because had he not been able to get the clogged ducts fixed for me, I don't know if the pump and I would have survived as long as we did. Massages, hot water, and pumping sometimes was just NOT enough to fix the clogs. 

I'm not suggesting that every woman do this, but if you start getting clogged ducts, and hand expression isn't enough, sometimes massaging it while doing specific sucking can help unclog it. My husband was able to feel the clogged duct, was able to push on it, and work it out and by sucking, was able to clear it out. He told me he could actually "taste" the difference when the clog would work out. The milk would be colder, and gunky tasting/feeling.

I learned that sometimes, you do what you gotta do to prevent issues with the breasts, especially in a situation where you're trying to make sure you keep your milk supply good, and mastitis is NO joke... I would do anything to avoid mastitis.

Quoting Mamaofblessings:

Pump off only the extra to keep the pain down, your milk is regulating....mastitis is not fun. If you leave it, it can form clogs and the best way to cure that and start of mastitis without meds is a vibrator while expressing....believe it or not it works. I had mastitis when i was expressing over 100oz a day(donated over 14,000 oz in 6months to nicus). Eat pepermint and hot showers while massaging the extra out. Ive done it before where i just squeese the cleavage and around the boob, if it came out that way, it would not express too much but just the extra and it will at least take out enough to avoid clots. Sunflower lanchen (i think its called) will also help kind of help with any clotting of milk that jellyfys it(if that make sence) when the fat holds together

luckyinlife
by Christina on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM
I would nurse every 2 hours on demand and pump just enough for some relief. A hot shower while had expressing helps too, just don't over do it. I forget if your a working mom or not, but when I was the oversupply in the beginning really filled up my freezer.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 9, 2016 at 4:59 PM
I've read hand expressing and doing cool or warm compresses helps. I wonder if there is like an essential oil you could add to the compress that could help?

Just remind yourself its your body trying to do its job to provide for the baby, it just needs to figure out that there is only one baby to feed! I hope it feels better soon!!
SamKSanders
by Samantha on Apr. 9, 2016 at 5:19 PM
I just read something about that today! I'll give it a try, thank you.

Quoting Megs3721: Yes. Be sure not to pump but only hand express so your milk supply doesn't increase even more. Have you tried warm and cold compress? (Warm before nursing and cold afterward.)

Quoting SamKSanders: I'm not really supposed to pump because then my body thinks it needs to make that much milk every time. but I'll at least hand express some to get the relief until my body regulates how much it needs.

SamKSanders
by Samantha on Apr. 9, 2016 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting kajira:

hand express JUST enough to take the edge off. The more you pump the more you'll make. (my milks'c oming in now and I plan on pumping for my toddler, so an over supply isn't a bad thing.) If you pump, you could also donate it to other moms if you don't mind pumping every day until Jaxon catches up to your supply.

Ice packs, don't over-do the expression or you'll just make more milk and increase supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)