Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pacifier and Breastfeeding

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:01 AM
  • 5 Replies
I was always told to hold off on giving a paci until breastfeeding is established. How long do you wait until you give your baby one? My son has been nursing well but wants that sucking motion to fall asleep. I'm tempted to give him the paci when he is done eating but I don't want to mess anything up with nursing. My oldest never nursed well and I ended up formula feeding her so this is all new to me. I do not want to mess up the hard work we have both put in so far!
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mamaofblessings
by Rachel on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:54 AM

When they kept pacifying on me...i think in a week or 2 my dr told me go ahead and give

lmp824
by Laura on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:58 AM
That is exactly what he is doing now. He will be two weeks old on Friday. I may try it tonight then. I was just nervous to do it too soon. Thank you!

Quoting Mamaofblessings:

When they kept pacifying on me...i think in a week or 2 my dr told me go ahead and give

Mamaofblessings
by Rachel on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Just fyi, 3 of 6 of my kids took a binkie, 3 did not, they hated it...dont be surprised if they dont like it..personally i rather them have it because then when your somewhere like church, when they start getting lould you can quiet them quickly without too much fuss....not too hard breaking the ones who loved it either, quick snip so they cant get suction they get mad but break themselves quickly

Quoting lmp824: That is exactly what he is doing now. He will be two weeks old on Friday. I may try it tonight then. I was just nervous to do it too soon. Thank you!
Quoting Mamaofblessings:

lmp824
by Laura on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:13 AM
Yes I have heard of babies refusing it. My daughter took it until she was 11 months. I think he will like it though because I have to use a nipple shield to nurse. So I feel like he is already semi using one, it will just be nice when it doesn't have to be attached to me...haha! Thank you!

Quoting Mamaofblessings:

Just fyi, 3 of 6 of my kids took a binkie, 3 did not, they hated it...dont be surprised if they dont like it..personally i rather them have it because then when your somewhere like church, when they start getting lould you can quiet them quickly without too much fuss....not too hard breaking the ones who loved it either, quick snip so they cant get suction they get mad but break themselves quickly

Quoting lmp824: That is exactly what he is doing now. He will be two weeks old on Friday. I may try it tonight then. I was just nervous to do it too soon. Thank you!

Quoting Mamaofblessings:

SamKSanders
by Samantha on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM
I had his ped tell me this...

"Babies are smarter than we give them credit for. They know the difference between a real nipple, a pacifier and a bottle nipple."

So we gave him a pacifier when we got home from the hospital. However, he isn't huge on the pacifier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)