Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breaking point...

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:14 PM
  • 13 Replies
Claire has a shallow latch and nothing I've tried fixes it. She seems like she is getting somethig but she falls asleep almost instantly at the breast so she's sucking lazily and seems starving as soon as she comes off. I've been pumping to try and fill in the blanks but even that hurts at this point!

On top of that she's still not up to her birth weight (only 2 oz down as of yesterday though) and I just don't know what to do. I finally made an appointment with a lactation consultant tomorrow but if we can't figure this out I'm ready to give up. She woke up rooting this morning and I almost cried because my nipples hurt so much all the time.
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tay06
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:29 PM

I'm sorry you are in so much pain.  Do what is best for you and your baby.  My first was formula fed and he's healthy and smart. I'm trying to breastfeed this one to save money and because she makes faces at me when I give her formula haha

luckyinlife
by Christina on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like she may have a tongue tie. Hopefully the LC is able to pin point the problem. Just do what you need to do to feed your baby until then!
SamKSanders
by Samantha on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Do what is best for YOU. I'm so sorry it's hurting so bad :( that's why we're pumping and bottle feeding now. We saw a LC and it still didn't improve anything for us but I hope it helps you. Have you tried a nipple shield?
Mamaofblessings
by Rachel on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Have you tried laid back nursing?

BoogaBooBaby
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM
Have you tried a nipple shield? It really helped me with my little one. Im sorry to hear it's hurting so bad. Do what's best for you.
Nicolle_09
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Shallow latch is probably due to tougne and/or lip ties. You may have to go see an ENT that has dealt with those before in order to find out. Also if pumping is hurting then it sounds like you have the wrong size shield for your pump. Check out kellymom.com, I think they have some info that may help like how to get a deeper latch with a baby that has a lazy shallow latch. Also how old is baby? 

meghs82285
by Meghan on Apr. 21, 2016 at 2:43 PM
I ff my other 3, my moms like "why are you doing this to yourself?" But it's because it's cheaper!!

Quoting Tay06:

I'm sorry you are in so much pain.  Do what is best for you and your baby.  My first was formula fed and he's healthy and smart. I'm trying to breastfeed this one to save money and because she makes faces at me when I give her formula haha

meghs82285
by Meghan on Apr. 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM
I tried a shield but she didn't seem to know what to do with it. She kinda just poked at it with her tongue. The LC wasn't very helpful, she was really nice, but not helpful...

Quoting SamKSanders: Do what is best for YOU. I'm so sorry it's hurting so bad :( that's why we're pumping and bottle feeding now. We saw a LC and it still didn't improve anything for us but I hope it helps you. Have you tried a nipple shield?
SamKSanders
by Samantha on Apr. 21, 2016 at 4:26 PM
That's how it was for us too :( I'm so sorry. Jaxson does not like the shield. At first he gave it a try but then anytime I would try to use it he would flip. And the LC we saw was similar. Nice but not super helpful. Big hugs! You're doing a GREAT job. You're a wonderful mom.

Quoting meghs82285: I tried a shield but she didn't seem to know what to do with it. She kinda just poked at it with her tongue. The LC wasn't very helpful, she was really nice, but not helpful...

Quoting SamKSanders: Do what is best for YOU. I'm so sorry it's hurting so bad :( that's why we're pumping and bottle feeding now. We saw a LC and it still didn't improve anything for us but I hope it helps you. Have you tried a nipple shield?
CassaNova
by Cassie on Apr. 21, 2016 at 5:46 PM
You could try pinching your nipple together and wait for baby to open as wide as possible and kind of push the nipple in her mouth. This is how I got my first daughter to latch correctly and this ensures they get the whole nipple in their mouth. But mama, no matter what do what's best or is less stressful for you, baby can sense stress!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)