Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please pray for our church plant

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:31 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

Hello girls,

I'm on vacation this week from work.  My hubby has a secular job during the week in a town that is an hour away so his days are filled up.  That, coupled with preparing a sermon and trying to plant this church on the weekend has him completely covered up.  His co-pastor also works out of town, so he, too, is unavailable.  That being said, me and another church member are meeting with the pastor from another church in the area who is the local church-planting guru and we have been talking to him about helping us out.  Since we are so small, and have a core group of just 6 people we have little help and even less money.  God has been good to us and we have grown very close, but since we meet each week in my house, the few visitors that have come to check us out have not stayed long.  I think it is just intimidating to be in someone's home.  Since our biggest goal is to reach people who are already "disenfranchised" (did I spell that right?) from church, this is a very hard group to really reach.  Anyway, we have an opportunity to move into a real site.  We have two options...storefront (that we could get a REALLY good deal on) or to borrow the facilities of an existing church.  There are obvious pros and cons to both places, but we just want to do what God wants us to do and not jump into either just because it sounds good, or easier.  Please just pray that we will make the decision based on what God wants and not what we want.  Also, pray for me as I (and this other girl) will be representing our entire church WITHOUT our elders present.  I don't want my personal feelings about this to interfere with what is best for the church.  This move is probably going to make or break us and I just want it to be the right move.  Thanks!

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
happyvalleygirl
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:38 AM
We planted a church and over the years met in homes, hotels, public schools, and even in a boxing school.  ( We teased people and told them that the boxing ring was for marriage counseling!).  Don't be discouraged!  If God is in it, He will bring people in the right time and amounts.  It just takes TIME!!  Stick to it!  Minister to who God has given you faithfully and more will come.  And as the ones you minister to are healed and encouraged, they will bring others.  I'll remember you in my prayers.
nursemomma
by Member on Aug. 17, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Quoting happyvalleygirl:

We planted a church and over the years met in homes, hotels, public schools, and even in a boxing school.  ( We teased people and told them that the boxing ring was for marriage counseling!).  Don't be discouraged!  If God is in it, He will bring people in the right time and amounts.  It just takes TIME!!  Stick to it!  Minister to who God has given you faithfully and more will come.  And as the ones you minister to are healed and encouraged, they will bring others.  I'll remember you in my prayers.
Thanks Happy, that is very encouraging to hear from you.  We are supposed to hear this morning sometime about wheather or not this church is going to let us use their fascility, or if we will have to get our own place.  It is a LOT to pray about!
Krista
nursemomma
by Member on Aug. 25, 2007 at 12:56 AM
Hello everyone,
It looks like nobody has been on in a couple of days, so I hope you are all still out there!  Anyway, just wanted to give an update on our church plant situation.

The church in the neighborhood that we went to about using their fascilities did offer to let us use it, (here comes the Holy But!) it looks like it is not what's best for the church.  At first, the pastor and his youth guy were very excited about the prospect of us joining together to reach our neighborhood for Christ.  They used words like, passion and vision, in our first conversation which consisted of the two of them and the 4 women in our church.  Then my hubby and the other pastor from our church had another meeting with their pastor and his "senior leadership", and got a very different vibe from them.  They were willing to let us use their youth room for our services BUT (there's that holy but, again) if/when we grew out of it, "they didn't know where we would go."  In our first meeting with him, he showed us his sanctuary, which is really just a big gym that is capable of changing in size because of dividers they had placed when it was built.  He said that we could move right on in there once we got to a size in need of that space.  He was singing quite a different tune to our elders, however.  Also, the girls and I were told that although we couldn't put up a sign in their yard because of a rediculous sign ordinance in our town, we could post our church's name and meeting times at the bottom of their own sign in the marquis area.  (One of those places where church's will often put slogans and bible verses.)  Anyway, that too fell by the wayside once the church's "senior leadership" was in the room.  The rule then became we could put a sign up in the yard between the hours of 1pm and 6pm on Sunday once ALL of their own members were out of the building.  GRRRRR.....

OK, I'm sounding really bitter about this, and I don't mean to.  I'm really not because I really wanted to go the other route to begin with.  I just didn't like the fact that their tune changed so much because the men were in the room instead of the women.  I guess that's just the way it goes, though. 

THe good news is, we are now going to sign a lease on a space 1200 Sq feet in a strip mall right here in our neighborhood!  It is very scarey and very exciting.  Of course, we'll have a LOT of money to raise and we'll need people to help with moving walls, decorating, placing carpet and painting.  We are starting totally from scratch, again, and the very idea is a huge leap of faith for our church.  But, we have prayed as a church about this and really feel God moving us in this direction!  It is a very exciting time for us.  PLEASE keep us in your thoughts and prayers, and I'll keep you updated on our progress.

God bless you all!

Krista
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)