Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Physical Therapy?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:46 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 595 Total Views
My son's pedi recommended we start taking him to physical therapy for his clubfoot but his orthpedic never mentioned anything about it before.  Has anyone gone to physical therapy with their baby for this?  Did it help any?  He's developing perfectly and getting around just fine so I'm a bit confused on why his pedi was so insistent about it.  Any suggestions/ideas?  Thanks!
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bradenlukemom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:37 PM
Luke's pediatrician recommended the same thing and when I asked his orthopedic Dr. he said we were "welcome to try" but he really didn't see the need in it if Luke was developing as he should. I think pediatrician's really don't know much about clubbed feet nor the practice in treating them. I know if a child is "pigeon toed" often the pediatrician will recommend the therapy. I'm guessing they "think" clubbed feet are in the same catagory? Anyway, that's just my two cents, LOL!
lisa101
by Member on Aug. 8, 2007 at 11:28 PM
My son was offered physical therapy by the Early Steps program that he is in. But his orthopedic said that it was not going to help unless I wanted to do the exercises for 23 hours a day. He says that with his feet is just going to be a day to day thing because he has had times to where his feet would be fine after a series of casting or surgery and then his feet would just go back and we would have to start over so physical would not help.
russkristie
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2007 at 5:46 PM

My son's ortho doctor put him in at home physical therapy almost a year ago.  We have to do it three times a day.  It's kind of difficult with a 2 year old but he can comprehend that his feet need to get better.  He wakes up every morning with very stiff feet.
Kristie M. Russ
kitchengirl
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2008 at 10:26 PM
We were recommended PT for our 13 month old by his second orthopedist.  We go twice a week for half an hour.  Really, all they are doing is stretching his legs and feet.  It bothers his a little when they do it, but once he's home, he stands more stable than ever.  They also mentioned that the PT won't effect his development as far as walking, if anything it seems to give him more confidence since his balance is better.  Also, the orthotist assured us that with more flexibility in his legs and ankles, he will handle the braces better, better than bar and shoes. 
chescha
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM
I have a 20 year old daughter born with a right club foot. We never had PT for that. Casting, Ponsetti and bracing with the Dobb's bar are pretty much the standard protocol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)