Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving siblings around re: bedrooms. What would you do?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am having the hardest time making a decision and it's getting close to crunch time!  Right now I have my two girls in a girly room on the main level.  They're 2 and 7.  I have my two boys in the upstairs "attic" bedroom (we remodeled it when we moved in).  They are 5 and a half and almost 4.

Where to put the baby?  It looks like a boy (worst look we've EVER gotten, though) so while I'd love to put him in with the boys right away, those steep stairs will be brutal and my almost-4-year-old son tends toward tantrums and sings loudly in his top bunk when he wakes up early.

I could put him in with the girls, but the 2 year old has been a horrid napper lately and might wake him up constantly.  She is sweet, but a loudmouth!

My room is really too small to fit even a pack n play, and I don't like having a baby in my room anyway.  My kids have always slept so much better when they're out of my room, even in the beginning.  Pretty sure they can smell my milk and wake up more to nurse because of that.

Other options are to temporarily move the noisy 2 year old upstairs with her brothers and put the baby in with just the (mostly quiet) 7 year old OR move the 7 year old upstairs and have the two youngest kids together.  Maybe he will just get used to her noise and sleep through it.  When he's about 10 months old and a more reliable sleeper, I'd put the girls back in their (very purple) room and have all the boys upstairs together and make them get used to each other, lol. 

What do you think? 

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
scoopneck99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Honestly I'd put the 7 yr old with the 2 yr old and see how that goes since he's older he might be more understanding. I'm going through a similar dilemma, my daughter is 10 soon to be 11 after baby comes and we have a fresh 5year old boy. Since we don't know what this one is and baby stays in our room for about 3-6 months depending on how much it nurses I have time but I'm stuck with if its a girl do I make the 10 yr old share a room or just make the 5 yr old share for a while or do we make the 10 and 5y/o share since they are good sleepers. Good luck with whatever you choose but maybe moving the now would help to ease the transition

CLG122
by Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 1:03 AM
The 7 and 2 year olds are together (sorry, my post was confusing!) They've been sharing a room since 2 year old was born. I can put the baby in with them but I'm worried the 2 year old will wake him up constantly. She is soooo noisy!!

Quoting scoopneck99:

Honestly I'd put the 7 yr old with the 2 yr old and see how that goes since he's older he might be more understanding. I'm going through a similar dilemma, my daughter is 10 soon to be 11 after baby comes and we have a fresh 5year old boy. Since we don't know what this one is and baby stays in our room for about 3-6 months depending on how much it nurses I have time but I'm stuck with if its a girl do I make the 10 yr old share a room or just make the 5 yr old share for a while or do we make the 10 and 5y/o share since they are good sleepers. Good luck with whatever you choose but maybe moving the now would help to ease the transition

j.patzer
by Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 4:07 AM

I would just start the baby in with the boys from the get go.

scoopneck99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 6:45 AM

Lol no problem. Then in that case maybe put the 2 year old and baby together so the baby gets used to the noise and hopefully becomes a sound sleeper. If that doesn't work then is there any way you could switch actual rooms and you take the bigger room for a while to share space then transition later or is that just too much work? I'm all about simplicity and hate having a lot or having to put a lot of effort for short term issues. 

Quoting CLG122: The 7 and 2 year olds are together (sorry, my post was confusing!) They've been sharing a room since 2 year old was born. I can put the baby in with them but I'm worried the 2 year old will wake him up constantly. She is soooo noisy!!
Quoting scoopneck99:

Ma2Liam
by Annette on Mar. 31, 2016 at 3:08 PM
I might move the 2year old in with the boys and put baby in with the 7 year old until you plan to switch back. You may find baby gets used to the noise quickly and you can just move the 2 year old back. It is always tough trying to anticipate the nature of the unborn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prdmama82
by Member on Apr. 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM
That's a tough one. Maybe have the baby in with 2 yr old and 7 yr old from the start, that way baby will get used to the noise pretty quickly instead of no noise then suddenly noise. Also it sounds like that room might be closer to your room so you can get him quicker? We are having our 5th as well and 3 bedrooms, but thankfully are all boys. Our 13, 11, and 7 yr old share a room and our 14 month old and new baby will share a room (after baby is 2 or 3 months).
CLG122
by Member on Apr. 1, 2016 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That's so funny-- same situation :)  If my oldest was older it would be harder.  I wouldn't really have the option of sticking her in with her brothers if she were at an age where she should have some gender-specific privacy.  At 7, I figure I COULD put her up with them and just have her change in the bathroom or kick them out when she dresses...  But the 2 year old is the silliest, noisiest, squeakiest child I have ever met.  If the newbie can sleep through her, he can sleep through anything!

Quoting prdmama82: That's a tough one. Maybe have the baby in with 2 yr old and 7 yr old from the start, that way baby will get used to the noise pretty quickly instead of no noise then suddenly noise. Also it sounds like that room might be closer to your room so you can get him quicker? We are having our 5th as well and 3 bedrooms, but thankfully are all boys. Our 13, 11, and 7 yr old share a room and our 14 month old and new baby will share a room (after baby is 2 or 3 months).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)