Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you do it?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

I'm just realizing how spoiled I have been until now! When my son was born my daughter was 3 1/2 and we kept her in daycare for the first month or so and I had the whole day alone with the newborn. Well, since I switched to a stay at home mom in March I am home with a newborn and a 3 year old and it's so overwhelming! At one point today I was nursing Lucy and Owen (the 3 year old) had to poop so I had to wipe his butt with Lucy still latched on and the doorbell rang because someone sent flower and it was just all too much! I had to text my husband and ask him to come home from work! I feel so bad for Owen because I'm not really doing anything with him and I hate to have him watch so much tv but honestly I don't know what else to do with him. I am still really sore and nursing takes up a lot of time so it's really just me sitting on the couch with the baby and Owen trying to entertain himself. It's too cold to sit outside with the baby so Owen can play on the swingset. 

We're going to join the YMCA near our house when Lucy is a little older and then Owen can go to the child watch program there and get some playtime in while Lucy and I do a mom and baby class or something so that will be good.

But what do I do with the toddler while I take care of the baby? 

by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tonyanamelia
by Tonya on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM
Honestly, it's been forever since my oldest was 3 and I had my son. After my third baby came, the older two just played together and made huge messes. Lol My oldest acted more like a 5 year old and didn't take too much watching. Lol I actually taught her K-4 materials while she was 3 and I had my newborn son. I would suggest investing in something slightly educational & distracting like toddler legos, playdough, puzzles, etc. For him to be amused with while you nurse etc. Also, get flushable wipes that he can use to wipe is own rear end with! It can sometimes be messy, but it's a good skill to learn anyway! Good luck! Don't worry, this too shall pass and soon a routine will be established!
whyfie
by Nika on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:36 PM

my daughter was 3 1/2 when i had my son, but i did have the advantage of giving birth right as school ended. so, it was only about a week, if that, before my older girls were home too. she was entertained by my mom, toys and def tv. we sat together most of the time. i babywear, which is very helpful when needing to nurse & move about.

try not to stress...i know it's easier said than done. u'll adjust and become a pro before u know it. don't let the little things get to u. someone at the door, u aren't expecting can wait. it's not the most ideal thing, but u can break the latch for a few mins to tend to Owen. also, Owen can wait a few mins too. get him some activity books, if u don't already have any. babywearing & bundling can help if u really wanna take Owen outside. is it a playset in ur yard? can he go out and u watch him from inside?

butterflycircle
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM

I had a momentary freak out when I  was a new mom of 2 also. It was hard often but one day my 4 year old threw up and my new baby had a poopy blow out and was screaming. I already was struggling with breast feeding and getting sleep of course lol. It was so over whelming.

I keep different toys in baskets put away to pull out one at a time. Things like chunky puzzles, blocks, tea set, play d'oh, coloring books,  and some books. I pull them out one at a time. My 3 year old loves these things and can easily play with them by her self or I can read to her while nursing too. This I have done for homeschooling but it will work for breastfeeding too I hope :).

jenaree
by Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:48 PM

My oldest is in 2nd grade so she is out all day long and it's just me and Owen and Lucy. My odest daughter was a piece of cake but Owen is a different story. He is really needy for me and not good at being patient. I don't give in to tantrums so it's a constant fight but I will not just give in to the bad behavior so a fight it will be! We are on a septic so we can't do flushable wipes but Owen still gets pissed off about taking his own pants off to potty because they get stuck on his feet so having him wipe himself would go disasterously! He's not a very patient kid! I have puzzles, legos and lots of and books and I tried to read to him and have him read to me while I was nursing today and it went alright but it just doesn't last. I have playdoh but he tends to eat it so i have to keep it from him :) 

Quoting tonyanamelia: Honestly, it's been forever since my oldest was 3 and I had my son. After my third baby came, the older two just played together and made huge messes. Lol My oldest acted more like a 5 year old and didn't take too much watching. Lol I actually taught her K-4 materials while she was 3 and I had my newborn son. I would suggest investing in something slightly educational & distracting like toddler legos, playdough, puzzles, etc. For him to be amused with while you nurse etc. Also, get flushable wipes that he can use to wipe is own rear end with! It can sometimes be messy, but it's a good skill to learn anyway! Good luck! Don't worry, this too shall pass and soon a routine will be established!

jenaree
by Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I had to unlatch Lucy a few times today to deal with Owen and it made nursing take even longer. My mom has brought dinner over a few times but she is working as a bus driver so she can't stay long. My sister is coming this weekend to hang out and help me do some of the fun baby stuff like some Halloween photos. Today was the first day my husband went back to work and everything blew up on me at once. Luckily he has lots of time off so he's staying home tomorrow. I don't really trust Owen going outside alone alone to play because he wanders and we have a large pond on our property and I worry that I could take my eyes off of him for a few seconds and he would be down by it to "pee on a fish". I love when my daughter gets home from school because her and Owen play together awesome. 

I think joining the YMCA is really going to be the lifesaver for me. That way Owen can get some real play time with other kids and Lucy and I can do our own thing, like a baby swimming class or something.

Quoting whyfie:

my daughter was 3 1/2 when i had my son, but i did have the advantage of giving birth right as school ended. so, it was only about a week, if that, before my older girls were home too. she was entertained by my mom, toys and def tv. we sat together most of the time. i babywear, which is very helpful when needing to nurse & move about.

try not to stress...i know it's easier said than done. u'll adjust and become a pro before u know it. don't let the little things get to u. someone at the door, u aren't expecting can wait. it's not the most ideal thing, but u can break the latch for a few mins to tend to Owen. also, Owen can wait a few mins too. get him some activity books, if u don't already have any. babywearing & bundling can help if u really wanna take Owen outside. is it a playset in ur yard? can he go out and u watch him from inside?

SecondChance709
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:29 PM
I'm dreading this. My son just turned 2, we have a puppy and I go back to school in 10 weeks. Our yard is fenced in so I do let him go out to play with windows and the sliding glass door open, but he gets bored by himself :/ he'll probably end up hanging out with his uncles a lot in the beginning.
tonyanamelia
by Tonya on Oct. 28, 2016 at 12:09 AM
Sounds like my youngest, more high needs! I'd say you definitely need to schedule some time when someone looks after him while you take a break to yourself. That always helps me be able to get back to 24-7 toddler watch. Lol

Quoting jenaree:

My oldest is in 2nd grade so she is out all day long and it's just me and Owen and Lucy. My odest daughter was a piece of cake but Owen is a different story. He is really needy for me and not good at being patient. I don't give in to tantrums so it's a constant fight but I will not just give in to the bad behavior so a fight it will be! We are on a septic so we can't do flushable wipes but Owen still gets pissed off about taking his own pants off to potty because they get stuck on his feet so having him wipe himself would go disasterously! He's not a very patient kid! I have puzzles, legos and lots of and books and I tried to read to him and have him read to me while I was nursing today and it went alright but it just doesn't last. I have playdoh but he tends to eat it so i have to keep it from him :) 

Quoting tonyanamelia: Honestly, it's been forever since my oldest was 3 and I had my son. After my third baby came, the older two just played together and made huge messes. Lol My oldest acted more like a 5 year old and didn't take too much watching. Lol I actually taught her K-4 materials while she was 3 and I had my newborn son. I would suggest investing in something slightly educational & distracting like toddler legos, playdough, puzzles, etc. For him to be amused with while you nurse etc. Also, get flushable wipes that he can use to wipe is own rear end with! It can sometimes be messy, but it's a good skill to learn anyway! Good luck! Don't worry, this too shall pass and soon a routine will be established!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)