Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smoking and Birth Control

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 430 Total Views

Poll

Question: Do you smoke, and what is your preferred birth control method?

Options:

I am a smoker, and I use a hormonal birth control method (patch, pill, implants, injectables, vaginal/Nuva-ring, Mirena)

I do not smoke, and I use a hormonal birth control method (patch, pill, implants, injectables, vaginal/Nuva-ring, Mirena)

I am a smoker, and I use a non-hormonal birth control method (ParaGard/Copper-T, diaphragm, condom, natural family planning, spermicides, tube-tying, or JUST SAY NO!)

I do not smoke, and I use a non-hormonal birth control method (ParaGard/Copper-T, diaphragm, condom, natural family planning, spermicides, tube-tying, or JUST SAY NO!)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 8

View Results

Many birth control methods introduce hormones, which increase the risk of blood clots, and smoking is believed to compound this. Further, there is evidence that smoking can decrease the effectiveness of hormonal birth control, because smoking causes a breakdown of estrogen levels, which in turn plays a role in the effectiveness of hormonal birth control. Many of us consider this to be an issue, and many of us aren't worried about it. Which would you consider to be your preferred birth control method?

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LadyJackiBlue
by on Dec. 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I too am a smoker, and concerned about the increased risks of blood clots that hormones bring. I married a man in 2009 that already had a vasectomy, so continued wearing of my Copper-T was redundant, I had it removed. But if I for whatever reason had to go back on birth control, I'd go back to the Copper-T without hesitation.

magicalmommy12
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Im a smoker and plan to get on either mirena or implanon when I go back for my 6 week PP check up. I know the risks but since SO is getting fixed the bc is mostly to manage my periods so Im not too worried about how effective it is at preventing pregnancy.

Karla1948
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I too am a smoker, which was a big driver going with the ParaGard (versus Mirena). My days for needing b/c are over, but if they weren't, I'd still be wearing it.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)