Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cheapest...

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 229 Total Views
What Is the cheapest form of birth control without insurance?
I will be losing my insurance for awhile and will be needing birth control. Right now I'm on the patch but can't afford it,97.77$. I know walmart has the 4$ pills but I hate them with a passion!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Karla1948
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I can't help but believe that a ParaGard, which I wore for 20 years, is the cheapest. Actually I wore two; it's good for 10 years. It will cost between $500 and $1000, but you get it, and you can probably forget about it for 10 years. They will probably let you make payments. I suggest you get with you local family planning clinic.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

Fmama2
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I actually just had Paragard removed in Feb after a year of having it.
I was having multiply infections after one and again another. And my periods kept getting longer,3 weeks before I had it removed.:(

Quoting Karla1948:

I can't help but believe that a ParaGard, which I wore for 20 years, is the cheapest. Actually I wore two; it's good for 10 years. It will cost between $500 and $1000, but you get it, and you can probably forget about it for 10 years. They will probably let you make payments. I suggest you get with you local family planning clinic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM
I hate walmart too, they've changed my pills to a genaric that wasn't thesame as the one i was on.
Cheapest form of bc is IUD. Either mirena or paragard. U don't HAVE to see a dr to have it removed for 5 or 10 years respectively. If u don't have problems.
i've done A LOT of research.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Forgot about the no insurance when I replied last time. Diaphragm is very cheap: get sized by your dr, they give u an Rx, get it at the pharmacy; dont know how long it lasts, at least a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sprime
by Group Admin on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM

See if you qualify for Medacaid! 

If not, oh well. 

If so, awesome! It will pay for your bc and other medical expenses.

Mirena ends up being cheap, as it is reliable for 5 years. Plus, no periods means no tampons/pads/liners to buy all that time! 

However, if Paragard caused you problems, talk to your doc about the likelyhood of Mirena causing similar problems. You can even call in to talk to a nurse or have the doc call you back. Then you don't have to pay for an appointment. 

Furthermore, Planned Parenthood can get you on bc on a sliding fee scale. Most cities also have clinics that operated the same. Check the yellow pages (or google) for pregnancy clinics....like the ones that give you a free pregnancy test. They are a great community resource and might be able to get you cheap bc too.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Every time someone reports back their success or failures, we all learn from it!

Fmama2
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM
I dont qualify for medicaid, that is what i just lost :(
I found out the health dept does a sliding scale on bc so im making an appt for that to check on prices. She said uf i decided against bc because of price they give away free condoms. lol

Quoting sprime:

See if you qualify for Medacaid! 

If not, oh well. 

If so, awesome! It will pay for your bc and other medical expenses.

Mirena ends up being cheap, as it is reliable for 5 years. Plus, no periods means no tampons/pads/liners to buy all that time! 

However, if Paragard caused you problems, talk to your doc about the likelyhood of Mirena causing similar problems. You can even call in to talk to a nurse or have the doc call you back. Then you don't have to pay for an appointment. 

Furthermore, Planned Parenthood can get you on bc on a sliding fee scale. Most cities also have clinics that operated the same. Check the yellow pages (or google) for pregnancy clinics....like the ones that give you a free pregnancy test. They are a great community resource and might be able to get you cheap bc too.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Every time someone reports back their success or failures, we all learn from it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeaHound
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Going to the county health dept about a diaphragm. The medicaid idea is a good one, some states provide contraception for free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN