Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting my IUD

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 196 Total Views

I am going to get my IUD in a few weeks and I am a tad bit nervose. the week before I have to get a biopsy of my cervix so I am going to sore from that, and then from what I understand the insertion of the IUD is not the most comfortalbe thing either.

How long does the discomfort usually last?? The paper work the my OB says to take some IBprofen or tylonal before hand and also after for cramps.

Will I be up for sex anytime with in the week after that? (not trying to rush it, but my boyfriend/father or my son is going out of town and he can't wait! lol I am just worried that I am not going to feel up to sex, and he is going to want to before he leaves. (Though if I am not, I know he will understand, just my siightly dispointed)

Will I bleed (spotting, or period) after I have it placed? I am breastfeeding and  have not had a period yet so I am not sure what to expect with the IUD. Do you even have periods when you have an IUD? I am getting Mirena not ParaGuard.

I discussed my options with my OB and knowing my medical history with almost every type of birth control we decided Mirena was best for me. I have heard all of the horror stories about Mirena and ParaGuard both. I am not looking for any comments or judgments about the type of IUD. Simply just looking for answers to my questions.

Thanks for the help laides.

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
UAFwife
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I Just asked the question about not Bleeding.. I am on the Copper IUD and currently Breastfeed. Maybe thats why i havent had a period yet.. but ive had it now for 3 months.. My daughter is 7-8 months.. Im enjoying no period but hoping nothing it wrong

TeaHound
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM
I don't know how long the discomfort lasts, but ibuprofen is the best pain reliever b/c it reliever inflamation well. Naproxin relieves inflamation better than ibuprofen, but doesn't work as well on pain.

I don't know about the sex thing. I hope all went well w/ ur bf.

U said u didn't so that's good, i imagine. Some women do and some don't.

As I said on ur other post, w/ Mirena, my gyno said u don't have a period. On Paragard, I've read of women bleeding, etc for a long time. It sounds like it's going well for u.

Please let me know how things go for u. I'm debating between getting attention Paragard or not using a contraceptive. I seem to have begun premenopause and don't really expect to get pregnant. I know it's POSSIBLE I just don't believe it's likely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alvasmiles79
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Hi.. its been a year i had the Mirena .. you do get slight of cramping but it will pass with in a week.. and had light spotting and  had my regular periods every month.. but my periods end like after 5 months after inserted and haven't had a period since.. If you are up for sex its all on you..lol.. but it can be a little discomfort during sex but it will pass..

sprime
by Group Admin on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Well, how did it go?!

Starr0617
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

lol,  i havnt gotten it yet.. you just commented on my other poast :)

Quoting sprime:

Well, how did it go?!

sprime
by Group Admin on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I was trying to follow names but must not have realized you were in there twice!

Starr0617
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM

totally fine :) i hope it goes well

Quoting sprime:

Sorry, I was trying to follow names but must not have realized you were in there twice!

nessac1987
by New Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM
I just got mine on Monday. Yes the insert of the iud felt like a sudden horrible cramp but just like that it was gone. I took an ibuprofen and was fine just normal back passion and cramps like a period oh and bloated...
Sex i dunno I'm kinda scared that he will feel uncomfortable or feel it or that it will move...
I have only bleed very super light since i got it in. So light i dont need a panty liner...
I so far love it.. Good luck with yours :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)