Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Reasons Why I Homeschool My Daughter

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 87 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you agree that children can receive the same or better education from homeschooling?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1

View Results

Homeschooling isn't for everyone; students or teachers. I thought it was going to be a piece of cake homeschooling my daughter but I was sorely mistaken. Given the options I have, I have no other choice but to homeschool. So why do I do it? Well, a little more about me first.

I am originally from Memphis, Tennessee and graduated from the University of Memphis (of course we still refer to it as Memphis State University). Only I should not have been there. At the age of 17, I became pregnant and became the mother of a beautiful girl shortly after my 18th birthday.

Unlike many from my community, I decided to look at single parenting as a blessing and not a burden. I was determined to go to school and get my degree. The two best days in my life were when my daughter was born and when I graduated from college.

Without the promise of work locally, I moved to Southern California where I began substitute teaching in a public high school. It was a year later that I decided to quit my job and focus 100% on my daughter's education. That is when I ventured into the world of homeschooling. Many people have asked me why. Well, here are my reasons.  

She Needs the Attention

Don't they all? Every kid needs the attention necessary to help them understand the curriculum. However, not everyone gets what they need. My daughter needed that extra attention and was not getting it. I cannot blame the system, the teachers, or anyone else. In fact, I worked in the system so I know how difficult it can be to focus on everyone. I decided to take on homeschooling so that I could help my daughter advance her education and not have to rely on others for the attention needed.

Gaining Experience While Being with Family

I eventually want to go back into the education field. With that being said, homeschooling is giving me experience. I was obtaining experience as a substitute but homeschooling gives me more and also allows me to spend time with my family. It has been a blessing.

Full Reign to Adjust Schedules

I get to make our schedule and can adjust it accordingly. Most of my relatives are self-employed entrepreneurs. This often winds up causing issues when they schedule events without concern for school events. With homeschooling, we get to adjust our time to accommodate for family and free time.

I Have Full Control Over the Curriculum

To a point, I can control what she learns. I still must teach a minimum of her grade level but I can pick and choose the curriculum. There is nothing wrong with state chosen curriculum but I still like being able to make the decision myself.

My Daughter  and I Control the Pace

Getting back to the attention needed, I have found that she is quicker at some activities than others. Instead of rushing her on some things while she waits on others, we can adjust our schedule to spend more time on the things that are needed.

My Final Words on Homeschooling

Homeschooling is NOT for everyone. I am sure there are many here who have their opinion that I am wrong, with others who will support my decision. Fact is, I made the decision and I am living with it.

I do not suggest jumping into homeschooling without getting a good idea of what is involved. Spend some time with other homeschool families so you can view how they operate and get an idea for how they schedule their time. You may find it's for you; or not.

Do you homeschool? What advice would you give a "newish" homeschooling mom like me?

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
SchoolOfRockIA
by on Aug. 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Yes, we do.

What advice can I give?

Don't be afraid of your homeschool looking like public school or not. LOL Some kids crave structure (mine) and will ask for it.

Don't be afraid to purchase homeschool curricula if you want to. Or swing to the other side of the street and don't buy anything and unschool.

Don't be afraid to put your kid(s) in to public school if you think that might be better for them. You can always reassess the situation three, six, or nine months later with fresh eyes.

Don't be afraid to tell people to MTOB if they tell you your children will be scarred for life if they're homeschooled. You're driving the bus.

I did want to add that I'm not a CA hs mom. But I really need a more liberal homeschooling place to hang out; I'm hoping you won't kick me out. But it's your group so I will abide by your decision.

--KELLY--Secular Homeschool Mom in Iowa Since 3/1/10---"Led Zeppelin, you can't find a better band to pay homage to."---Ann Wilson

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)