Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've ever owned a siberian husky....

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 114 Total Views
We are getting our husky next month. He is 4 weeks old right now. Everyone keeps telling me how bad it's going to be with shedding and energy. I get it but is it really going to be THAT bad with a husky in our house?? We have 5 kids so we're used to a lot of energy. Our kids have promised to help walk him everyday, and I have time in my day to brush him daily and potty train him. Does or has anyone own a husky? What was/is your experience? I really don't like it when a person assumes I've done absolutely no research or know anything about anything. It irritates the crap out of me!
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Alesha01
by Group Owner on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM

We had a Husky 11 years ago.  I didn't think he shed much at all.  If you brush them often it will really help.  He seemed to shed the most when it was hot.  They do have a lot of energy but you shouldn't notice with 5 kids.  He/she will enjoy playing with the kids.  

What color is the Husky you're getting? We had a black & white one.

hurst0three
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

He is black & white.

Quoting Alesha01:

We had a Husky 11 years ago.  I didn't think he shed much at all.  If you brush them often it will really help.  He seemed to shed the most when it was hot.  They do have a lot of energy but you shouldn't notice with 5 kids.  He/she will enjoy playing with the kids.  

Alesha01
by Group Owner on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:23 PM

So cute!!!!

Quoting hurst0three:

Mobile Photo

He is black & white.
Quoting Alesha01:

ASandersTX
by Group Admin on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:27 PM
I have 2 Alaskan Malamutes and we fostered a Husky for a bit. They blow their coats when the weather starts warming up and sometimes they may blow their coats twice. That is when you will see the most hair. Deshedding treatments during grooming will be your best friend. They are a high energy dog and they have a small prey drive typically. I can't say all won't get along with cats or other small animals, but most will go after them. I do not have carpet in my home, but the area I have a rug in they're not allowed. They are called escape artists for a reason so beware of that. The ones I have been around and the one we fostered have made me realize they're not a dog I'd personally like to have. They're such a different personality from my Mals and like having a needy hyper kid. That being said I know a ton of people who have them and usually 2-3 of them at once and love it so I'm possibly just biased due having Malamutes.
hurst0three
by Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM
Did you get the husky as a puppy? We have 1 small dog and 1 cat plus 5 kids. I'm wondering if we get him when he's so young maybe he will get used to all the attention from the kids and might get used to the cat and vice versa. I'm hoping it works out for our family. I've always wanted a husky since I was about 8 yrs old. I'm now 36 and getting my dream dog. I just hope he has a good temperament.

Quoting ASandersTX: I have 2 Alaskan Malamutes and we fostered a Husky for a bit. They blow their coats when the weather starts warming up and sometimes they may blow their coats twice. That is when you will see the most hair. Deshedding treatments during grooming will be your best friend. They are a high energy dog and they have a small prey drive typically. I can't say all won't get along with cats or other small animals, but most will go after them. I do not have carpet in my home, but the area I have a rug in they're not allowed. They are called escape artists for a reason so beware of that. The ones I have been around and the one we fostered have made me realize they're not a dog I'd personally like to have. They're such a different personality from my Mals and like having a needy hyper kid. That being said I know a ton of people who have them and usually 2-3 of them at once and love it so I'm possibly just biased due having Malamutes.
ASandersTX
by Group Admin on Jan. 18, 2017 at 9:14 PM
He was roughly 6 months old is what the rescue estimated him as. I would think being so young when you bring yours home he should adjust well and will probably be put in his place by your other animals.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)