Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She extends her hands to the needy.- challenge #3

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 371 Total Views
She extends her hands to the needy.

Jul. 6, 2007 at 11:00 AM by lovmygirls
posted to Proverbs 31 Women
Reply to Post
0 Replies 2 Total Views

This is something that I hold very close to my heart, to reach past our own walls and help those that are in need. We need to be good examples for our children in everything we do. Jesus is the ultimate example of giving! He gave, and gave, and gave, finally giving his own life for ours! Think of some of the things that Jesus did for others. Write them down. Now think of something that you might be able to do for someone in need. Something to help the elderly, someone who is ill, the homeless, someone who has recently suffered a loss, a millitary wife who is currently away from her husband. I challenge you to do something to help someone this week. Let your light shine, and bring your children along so that they might see your good works!!

by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM
Doing missions work has brought me the greatest joy and fulfillment ever.  I went last summer to Guatemala and was so blessed.  Even if you can't afford to go overseas, there are so many wonderful opportunities that we have to give to others daily.
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2008 at 4:22 PM

For the moment I give clothing to the battered women's shelter versus the consignment shops or yard sales or even good will/salvation army. The families there many times leave with just the clothes on their backs and are in need of good clothing, too.

I also give our coats and jackets that are too small to our chiropractor who has a charity that hands out coats as fall and winter approach.

We always try to help where we can and when we can, when the opportunities present themselves. Our scouts groups (American Heritage Girls and Boy Scouts) all take part in making quilts and other items to give. They also do many other community outreach programs.

I am looking into soup kitchens that I can take the older children to to work in. I've already checked at many and you have to be over 18 to work in them. I know I've heard of some where whole families can come to work including the young children ... but I have yet to find them. It may be that they don't do that anymore with the prevalence of law suits.

Our children's Sunday school classes go to sing at the local nursing homes. During this time they pass out crafts they have made which of course lights up many a day. We are usually the last ones out as an older person has taken to talking to one of us. We stay pretty much as long as they want to talk.

When I was a teen our church youth group used to minister in homeless shelters. Because we were young we went to the ones that housed families. The men would venture to the ones that housed only men. These were some of my greatest learning experiences in compassion. I wish that I could find a group that does that now so that my teens could experience it. Many attitudes would be changed if they could experience walking into homeless shelters. When presents are taken - everyone is so moved and so genuinely thankful ... it's definitely a feeling like no other.

With my surgery last week, what I can do this week is to look into opportunities to do for others and set them up.

Thank you for this challenge.

~ Olga ~ my honey Terry and our babies: Taylor (20), Hunter (17), Max (16), Mara (14), Tabi (13), Faith (10), Isaiah (8), and Mary (5) and animal babies: Kiwi the hamster, Medusa the snake, and the as of yet unnamed Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix puppy

O Give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good: because His mercy endureth for ever. ~~~ Psalm 118:1

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)